- #DeleteFacebook gains momentum after the platform refused to remove doctored Nancy Pelosi videos 1 Year Ago
- ‘Game of Thrones’ failed women—and it’s a shame on its legacy Today 7:40 AM
- How to use Tor, the network that lets you browse the web anonymously Today 7:30 AM
- How to live stream Devin Haney vs. Antonio Moran on DAZN Today 7:00 AM
- Trump’s transphobic policies are disgusting—but they aren’t new Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch the Copa del Rey Final online for free Today 5:45 AM
- How to watch the DFB-Pokal final for free Today 5:30 AM
- Curvy Wife Guy drops music video for rap song ‘Chubby Sexy’ Friday 7:33 PM
- A ‘Black Mirror’-inspired miniseries is coming to YouTube via Netflix Latin America Friday 5:56 PM
- Kanye West appears on David Letterman’s Netflix show to talk Trump, TMZ, and Drake Friday 3:27 PM
- QAnon believers link small-town arrest to deep state conspiracy without evidence Friday 1:58 PM
- Instagram photos showing prison conditions spark massive protest Friday 1:33 PM
- ‘Gay rat wedding’ headline sparks amazing new meme Friday 1:03 PM
- ‘I read a gossip piece’ meme mocks Moby’s Instagram post Friday 12:39 PM
- Rotten Tomatoes wants to see your ticket stub to leave a verified review Friday 11:46 AM
Jordan Peele uses AI to create fake news PSA featuring Obama
‘Stay woke, bitches.’
Fake news comes in all shapes and sizes, and unfortunately, it’s becoming more difficult to detect as technology advances. Courtesy of BuzzFeed and Get Out director Jordan Peele, we now have an appropriately terrifying idea of what it may look like in the future.
Using advanced artificial intelligence (AI), the partnership created a public service announcement featuring former President Barack Obama. In it, Peele delivers his famous voiceover on top of a digitally manipulated video of the president, making it seem like Obama is giving his opinion on Black Panther, dishing on Ben Carson, and calling President Donald Trump a “total and complete dipshit.”
Before you watch the clip, it’s worth reemphasizing: Obama isn’t really saying these things (Peele reveals himself at the midway point in the video).
So how did Peele and BuzzFeed pull this off? They used an AI face-swapping tool originally designed to make celebrity porn. Called FakeApp, the software was made popular on Reddit when female celebrities were edited into porn videos that showed up on subreddits like r/deepfakes and r/celebfakes.
The more advanced implementations of the AI software were practically impossible to identify as fake, much like the Obama video. Reddit, along with Gfycat, PornHub, Discord, and Twitter banned the software, citing content policy violations.
After explaining the dangers of fake news and urging people to be smarter about what they read online, Peele drops the mic by making fake Obama close with one last piece of advice: “Stay woke, bitches.”
Phillip Tracy is a former technology staff writer at the Daily Dot. He's an expert on smartphones, social media trends, and gadgets. He previously reported on IoT and telecom for RCR Wireless News and contributed to NewBay Media magazine. He now writes for Laptop magazine.