President Donald Trump tweeted about a supposed missile test in Iran over the weekend, presumably referring to a video released by state-television, and asserted that the so-called Iran deal wasn’t working.
However, intelligence officials say the Friday launch the video depicted wasn’t real.
“Iran just test-fired a Ballistic Missile capable of reaching Israel.They are also working with North Korea.Not much of an agreement we have!” Trump wrote on Saturday.
Iran just test-fired a Ballistic Missile capable of reaching Israel.They are also working with North Korea.Not much of an agreement we have!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 23, 2017
On Friday, state-run Press TV released a video showing a missile launch, saying the country had successfully launched a missile.
U.S. intelligence officials told CNN that the launch depicted in the video did not set off radar or sensors they have in the region, adding: “As far as we can see, it did not happen.”
Fox News, who was first to report that the video was misleading, spoke with officials who said the video appears to be seven months old.
During that launch, the missile exploded shortly after liftoff, the news station reported.
Trump has blasted the Iran nuclear deal for months but has not said whether or not he would pull the United States out of the agreement brokered by former President Barack Obama’. The deal, which was made between the United States, Iran, and four other countries, lifts international sanctions against Iran in exchange for restrictions on the country’s nuclear program for the next 15 years.
Last week, Trump spoke before the United Nations’ General Assembly and criticized the deal.
“The Iran deal was one of the worst and most one-sided transactions the United States has ever entered into,” Trump said. “Frankly, that deal is an embarrassment to the United States, and I don’t think you’ve heard the last of it. Believe me.”