- Mom calls cops on son who can’t get ready for school on time Tuesday 11:19 PM
- Tinder exec fired after involvement in lawsuit alleging sexual assault Tuesday 10:48 PM
- Woman matches on Tinder with LaCroix thief—and his victim Tuesday 7:38 PM
- U.K. police will have to disclose documents about WikiLeaks journalists Tuesday 6:37 PM
- Backpack Kid sues Fortnite developer over flossing emote Tuesday 5:38 PM
- Conservatives rage at Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s ‘week of self-care’ Tuesday 4:02 PM
- 2 inflatable snowmen fought in front of a combo KFC/Taco Bell Tuesday 2:47 PM
- How to watch the Boca Raton Bowl online for free Tuesday 2:43 PM
- DAZN KOs YouTube, Snapchat as (temporarily) the most downloaded app Tuesday 1:57 PM
- AT&T says it’s rolling out 5G service this week Tuesday 1:03 PM
- NY state senator tells woman staffer ‘Kill yourself!’ in a tweet Tuesday 12:54 PM
- This Lil Jon-Kool-Aid Man Christmas jam is as extra as you’d expect Tuesday 12:13 PM
- YouTube stars say unfair copyright claims are making their lives hell Tuesday 12:12 PM
- UPS deletes tweet about shredding letters to North Pole after huge backlash Tuesday 11:21 AM
- Viral petition leads to revised Holland Tunnel Christmas decor Tuesday 11:10 AM
Apple’s iOS prototype nominees were uglier than you could imagine
We’ve come a long way.
The video below shows how primitive Apple’s prototypes were at the time. One of them has a massive touch scroll wheel and tiny icons, while the other looks like you are navigating through one of those sketchy pop-up ads that’s sure to steal your identity.
On the left is the P1, created by Tony Fadell, the “Father of the iPod.” Fadell wanted the iPhone’s operating system to be based on the iPod’s user interface, and to be operated using a touch wheel.
It was competing against codename P2, an entirely new operating system that could be navigated using touchscreen icons. The clunky OS, as the video shows, was much slower to boot up than the light and snappy iPod OS. But as we now know, the P2 won out, and the rest is history.