- Viral video shows an egg getting a hot makeover Tuesday 7:56 PM
- New Netflix feature broadcasts what you’re watching via Instagram Tuesday 6:11 PM
- Videos show alleged Covington teens harassing women, making rape jokes at march Tuesday 4:13 PM
- MAGA teen gets ‘Today Show’ interview—and people are pissed Tuesday 3:38 PM
- Family says hacker sent fake North Korean missile warning through Nest camera Tuesday 2:42 PM
- This Arizona bill would tax internet porn to fund a border wall Tuesday 2:41 PM
- This meme is asking people how they draw the letter X Tuesday 1:18 PM
- Charlie Kirk’s love of U.S. healthcare system put to the test after back problems Tuesday 1:12 PM
- Fyre Fest caterer who was left broke has received $160,000 in donations Tuesday 12:58 PM
- The YouTuber who taught a dog to give the Nazi salute on command can’t find a job Tuesday 12:24 PM
- The ‘oh yeah yeah’ meme is flooding YouTube—and KSI can’t deal Tuesday 12:20 PM
- Did this d*ck-drawing Instagram star steal her gag from a rival runner? Tuesday 12:00 PM
- Rep. Steve King, best known for his racism, tweets a fake MLK quote Tuesday 11:54 AM
- Facebook is helping husbands ‘brainwash’ their wives with targeted ads Tuesday 11:35 AM
- Twitch streamer Pink_Sparkles responds to gamers who don’t think she belongs Tuesday 11:29 AM
Who needs Snapchat, anyways?
At last, the evolution is complete. Instagram Stories now includes pretty much every feature that Snapchat does. In an update available today on iOS and Android, you can now liven up your selfies with face filters—among several new features added to the app.
Now, you can choose from one of eight different face filters in Instagram Stories. These include funny favorites such as a bunny ear and nose, koala ears, a beauty-enhancing flower crown, and an eye-catching crystal tiara. The face filters also work with Instagram’s companion app Boomerang. And like Snapchat, some also work when you snap a selfie with a friend.
Judging by the photos Instagram used in its blog post, this new feature clearly targets teens. Instagram already has a strong hold of this market (have you heard of #Finstagram?), and is more popular than Snapchat, according to recent numbers. With face filters though, the app now offers everything that its biggest competitor does.
However, today’s update packs in more than just selfie filters. The app’s camera now includes a “Rewind” feature that shares videos in reverse. This option is located as a separate button below the app’s camera shutter button, next to Boomerang and Hands-Free mode.
In Stories, you can also add a custom hashtag to your images or videos, either in regular text, or as a sticker. In sticker form, you can tap the hashtag to see other public posts that have used that tag. There’s also a new drawing tool called the eraser brush. This lets you fill the entire image with color, then selectively erase sections to reveal the photo beneath.
These new features should offer creative, inspiring new ways for Instagram storytellers to share their adventures.
Update 1:17pm CT, May 16: Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg showed off his favorite face filters on Instagram and Facebook.
New face filters on Instagram today! This one's my favorite so far. These kinds of effects are how we'll experience augmented reality for the first time. This is just the beginning.
Posted by Mark Zuckerberg on Tuesday, May 16, 2017
Christina Bonnington is a tech reporter who specializes in consumer gadgets, apps, and the trends shaping the technology industry. Her work has also appeared in Gizmodo, Wired, Refinery29, Slate, Bicycling, and Outside Magazine. She is based in the San Francisco Bay Area and has a background in electrical engineering.