- Social media companies continue to fail to police fake behavior, study finds 3 Years Ago
- Despite changes, the YouTube 2019 Rewind video is still massively disliked 3 Years Ago
- ‘Home for Christmas’ brings a needed sharp edge to Christmas rom-com season 3 Years Ago
- Joe Biden seemingly called a voter ‘fat’—but his campaign denies it Today 9:30 AM
- The decade in internet scamming Today 9:00 AM
- Bernie Sanders unveils ‘high-speed internet for all’ plan Today 8:59 AM
- Hulu’s ‘Into the Dark’ scores with Christmas-themed ‘A Nasty Piece of Work’ Today 6:00 AM
- West Virginia corrections employees suspended after Nazi salute photo surfaces Thursday 8:02 PM
- Here are the 15 best Eddie Murphy movies available to stream Thursday 7:56 PM
- Ex-InfoWars video editor admits to making up Islamophobic stories Thursday 6:55 PM
- WhatsApp accounts deleted amid Kashmir internet blackout Thursday 6:21 PM
- Guy gets mocked for tattoo of Baby Yoda drinking White Claw Thursday 6:18 PM
- Spotify Wrapped has people asking just how much it knows about us Thursday 5:50 PM
- Instagram account allegedly asked for inappropriate photos of children Thursday 5:16 PM
- How to stream ‘Boys vs. Bears on Thursday Night Football Thursday 4:33 PM
Two Facebook accounts have been deleted for taking the image of a 3-year-old and falsely claiming he had cancer.
Sarah Allen believes her son’s image, which she uploaded in August, was taken from online news publications before being exploited by scammers. The photo of the young boy had first spread across the internet because of the severity of his chickenpox, and his mom’s plea for free vaccines in the U.K.
It was then taken and used to scam other users, with posts saying Facebook would donate money for the boy’s surgery if people Liked or left comments.
“We were warned people might take his pictures… because if you Google chickenpox his pictures are there,” Allen told the BBC. “So, we were well aware that might happen, but not in this respect, to say he had cancer.”
The tactic was most likely used for “Like farming,” where a scammer publishes an attention-grabbing post to gain Likes. Once the story starts to trend, they will edit its information and add something malicious, like a download link or product promotion.
More than a million people interacted with one of the messages featuring the 3-year-old boy, according to the BBC.
Allen said she filed numerous complaints to Facebook before the social media giant told her the accounts were removed on Feb. 10. A few days later, the accounts were back, featuring more posts with images of children in hospitals claiming viewers would have years of bad luck if they didn’t share the posts.
After additional complaints from multiple organizations, Facebook deleted the accounts.
This all comes during an important time for Facebook and its censorship rules. Mark Zuckerberg recently wrote a post addressing fake news after it spread during the U.S. presidential election.
The social media site will need to make some drastic changes if a clear scam involving a child was this difficult to take down.
Phillip Tracy is a former technology staff writer at the Daily Dot. He's an expert on smartphones, social media trends, and gadgets. He previously reported on IoT and telecom for RCR Wireless News and contributed to NewBay Media magazine. He now writes for Laptop magazine.