- Gynecologist explains why garlic shouldn’t go in vaginas Wednesday 7:08 PM
- People on Twitter are posting the 5 weirdest jobs they’ve had for this meme Wednesday 6:48 PM
- Mortal Kombat 11’s Jax ends slavery—and gamers are pissed Wednesday 5:46 PM
- GPS app gave hacker ability to remotely shut off car engines Wednesday 3:58 PM
- Scott Walker wore jeans for sexual assault awareness, and Twitter is reminding him of his misogynist past Wednesday 3:24 PM
- Hacked Lime scooters make sexual comments to riders Wednesday 3:03 PM
- ‘Bonding’ squanders its potential with weak jokes and limp structure Wednesday 2:49 PM
- The safest place for ‘Game of Thrones’ memes is in the crypts Wednesday 2:23 PM
- Report: Fortnite developer Epic Games is working employees into the ground Wednesday 1:57 PM
- Damian Lillard’s game-winning 3-pointer inspired a plethora of memes Wednesday 12:17 PM
- Gamers are blaming socialism for making the women in Mortal Kombat ‘ugly’ Wednesday 11:36 AM
- Nickelodeon is selling SpongeBob toys based on popular memes Wednesday 11:25 AM
- Alex Jones protests outside the White House by shouting the name of his website Wednesday 11:13 AM
- ‘I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson’ has an absurd conclusion for every scenario Wednesday 10:52 AM
- Twitch star TF Blade banned for racial slur—but he swears he didn’t say it Wednesday 10:43 AM
Disney’s new emoji keyboard makes you play a game to unlock your favorite characters
It’s a whole new world, in emoticon form.
Emoji Blitz is a new mobile app that spruces up your device keyboard with your favorite characters from the Disney universe. However, rather than just outright giving you access to all the character sets–there are currently 33 available–the app lets you earn them by means of a fun and easy game.
Here’s how the game component works: After entering your age (I know, I’m old!), you can pick a Disney character emoji to use first—it instantly unlocks that emoji on your keyboard. Each one has a “power up” specific to their character:
Disney Emoji Blitz
The game is pretty much your basic Bejeweled clone: You have a minute to match three similar emoji in a row to gain points, and four emoji in a row to create a lightning cloud that will zap emoji in the same column or row when used on one next to it. Every point gained increases the power level of your main character emoji; once full, you can use it to clear more emoji. The further you get in the game, the more tricks you can learn to do to gain more points. Points give you coins, and coins let you unlock more Disney emoji. It’s that simple.
Disney Emoji Blitz
There are other things you can do in the game, like earn bonuses, collect Disney souvenirs, and of course, purchase stuff within the app to get further in the game or get access to more Disney emoji. You can also complete missions to level up and earn prizes.
To start using the Disney emoji in your messaging platforms, make sure you turn the keyboard on so it starts showing up under your “Change keyboard” choices. For Android devices, it’s under Settings>Language & keyboard>Current keyboard>Choose keyboards. You can also tap on the Settings icon within the app and it’ll lead you directly to your device’s menus where you can do all of the above. Once it’s enabled, you can go crazy sending out Disney characters to all your pals who love them as much as you do.
Disney Emoji Blitz
One thing to note: Emoji Blitz–which is available on both iOS and Android platforms–is purely an emoji keyboard. If you want to type a text message using the alphabet, you’d have to revert back to your previous keyboard. For any Disney diehard, however, having the option to converse in Ariel or Goofy heads is worth the tiny inconvenience.
Jam Kotenko is a technology reporter and graphic designer who specializes in coverage of Instagram, Facebook, and other social media apps. Her work has been published by Digital Trends, Bustle, and Gotta Be Mobile.