- Lightsaber dueling is now an official sport Monday 9:39 PM
- ‘Fake plane challenge’ takes off on TikTok Monday 8:15 PM
- Video meme of a mom dancing with her kids goes viral—again Monday 7:26 PM
- ‘Due to personal reasons’ meme enables questionable behavior Monday 3:36 PM
- Why do white rappers write lyrics about being good hypothetical dads? Monday 3:29 PM
- Roger Stone posts, then deletes, Instagram of his judge with small crosshairs next to her Monday 2:32 PM
- People are Googling Rihanna and their birthday in a Twitter challenge Monday 2:13 PM
- Here are all of the Fortnite earthquake cracks thus far Monday 1:21 PM
- New Apex Legends characters leaked by data miners Monday 12:36 PM
- Ken Jeong falls back on crude humor and lazy stereotypes in ‘You Complete Me, Ho’ Monday 12:24 PM
- 14 artsy cartoon mugs that’ll help make your days more creative Monday 12:15 PM
- Netflix cancels ‘Jessica Jones’ and ‘The Punisher’ Monday 11:26 AM
- YouTube is fueling the rise in flat earth believers Monday 11:04 AM
- Review: Crackdown 3 is not a world worth saving Monday 11:00 AM
- Scathing privacy report calls Facebook a ‘digital gangster’ Monday 10:50 AM
Those 344 drunken comments I left on your account were just a joke.
Scrolling through Instagram the past few days, you’ve noticed something strange. A particular user you used to see all the time has disappeared from your feed. Perhaps it’s an ex who you’ve maintained social media friendliness with till now. Or perhaps it’s a celebrity account you have a tendency to comment on with zero filter. Have they… blocked you on Instagram?
It’s pretty easy (and quick) to find out.
How to tell if someone blocked you on Instagram
First, open the Instagram app. Head to the Discover tab (designated with a magnifying glass icon) and search for the person’s username. If their profile is public, you’ll be able to head to their profile. If you go to their profile and see a blue Follow button, along with a “No Posts Yet” icon where their photos would normally be, congratulations! You’ve been blocked. You can confirm this by trying to tap the Follow button on their profile—nothing will happen.
If the user in question has a private profile, this will take a little more work. First, you’ll need to find a mutual friend who follows this person. Then you’ll have to stalk their feed a bit. Find a post where your maybe-blocker liked or commented, and tap their name to go to their profile. From there, if you’re greeted with that blue Follow button and are unable to follow the individual, you’ve been blocked.
- Who has the most followers on Instagram?
- The simple trick to using screen recording in iOS 11
- The best iPhone X cases for every budget
- What is Kodi, and is it legal?
If you have been blocked, perhaps it’s time for a little self-reflection. Fight the instinct to immediately hop onto another social network and ask, “Hey man, why did you block me?” Perhaps you said something crude or offensive. Perhaps the other party feels your relationship has run its course or needs a little time without you in their life. Give it some time. Respect their decision. Everyone in the world doesn’t have to like you—or like your Instagram posts.
Need more help? Here’s how to repost on Instagram and download full-resolution Instagram photos. If you’re looking to spice things up, here are some tips for Instagram flirting and how to find porn on Instagram (and instructions on how to clear your search history).
If you’re feeling petty, here’s how to see all of the people who unfollowed you. You can also disconnect Facebook from Instagram or unblock someone. For more tips, see our ultimate beginner’s guide to Instagram.
Christina Bonnington is a tech reporter who specializes in consumer gadgets, apps, and the trends shaping the technology industry. Her work has also appeared in Gizmodo, Wired, Refinery29, Slate, Bicycling, and Outside Magazine. She is based in the San Francisco Bay Area and has a background in electrical engineering.