- Chilling ad by Sandy Hook Promise features kids using school supplies during a shooting 4 Weeks Ago
- Don’t fall victim to this Venmo texting scam 4 Weeks Ago
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Netflix in October 2019 Today 12:55 PM
- Marvel just turned Goldballs into one of the most powerful X-Men Today 12:33 PM
- Every house in ‘Skyrim’ and how to get them all Today 12:28 PM
- How to stream all the Week 3 NFL action Today 12:14 PM
- Taylor Swift has some thoughts on the end of ‘Game of Thrones’ Today 12:14 PM
- Notre Dame, Georgia, and how to stream college football’s must-watch Week 4 Today 11:52 AM
- Prominent Democratic donor Ed Buck charged with running drug house tied to fatal overdoses Today 11:45 AM
- Merriam-Webster recognizes use of singular ‘they’ for nonbinary people Today 11:39 AM
- VSCO dogs are here, and they’re just barely putting up with it Today 11:38 AM
- Everything you need to know about Juul batteries Today 11:26 AM
- Trump is trying to use Beto as a scapegoat for inaction on gun control Today 11:18 AM
- Instagram influencer says her account was banned over ‘sexual’ pregnancy photo Today 10:23 AM
- YouTube time traveler emotionally describes floating cities in the year 2300 Today 10:15 AM
These days, consuming media is easier and more convenient than ever, thanks to no shortage of streaming services. But unfortunately, those subscription fees tend to add up—especially as more and more companies are throwing their hats into an already overcrowded ring. As such, many people are understandably less than enthused to shell out for multiple services, and are now turning back to torrenting sites.
BitTorrent sites allow users to download content such as movies, television shows, music, and video games. Yet even in 2019, torrenting can present an enigma to those uninitiated–so what do you need to know?
The five best torrenting sites
Unfortunately, downloading torrents can be risky business due to fakes, malware, and sites inundated with pop-ups–not to mention legal ramifications. As such, we’ve rounded up a list of the best (and safest) torrenting sites you should be using in 2019.
One of the most popular torrenting sites available, 1337X is unique in that it includes tons of obscure files. But there’s also no shortage of new and popular content, making for an overall balanced library. 1337X’s site design is user-friendly and straightforward—just be prepared for the occasional pop-up tab.
The Pirate Bay is a classic. As the oldest of all the torrenting sites, it has a long history of reliability and a library that stretches back for years. Although it does occasionally experience connectivity problems, The Pirate Bay is a fantastic site for torrenting newbies, as users are able to numerically see how trustworthy its seeders are.
YTS.AM, the replacement for YTS and YIFY, focuses solely on film, which means that there is a wide variety of movies to choose from–most of which are of good quality. Moreover, the site layout is super clean and you don’t need a ton of bandwidth to download its files, making torrenting through YTS.AM an overall painless experience.
If you’re less interested in quantity and more interested in quality, definitely take a look at RARBG. Another movie-specific torrenting site, RARBG puts a focus on curating a library full of high-resolution, popular movies. Each file displays seeder and leecher stats, cast details, and more.
Limetorrents is the perfect site for people who don’t want to deal with the headache of illegitimate torrents. Even despite a massive database, Limetorrents still includes plenty of useful file information—as each torrent lists seeder and leecher stats, date uploaded, and a health meter—along with an additional info page containing additional details.
Anna Maria Ward is the social media editor of the Daily Dot. Her work focuses on the intersections of entertainment, pop culture, and social justice. She previously contributed to the Houston Chronicle and Orange magazine.