- Biden wants to challenge Trump to a push-up contest 11 Months Ago
- Trump continues to tweet as House gears up to condemn his racist tweets 11 Months Ago
- Your therapist probably wouldn’t approve of this meme Today 9:06 AM
- Batman Talisman finally lets the villains rule Gotham City Today 8:22 AM
- Controversial #ICEBae divides social media Today 8:22 AM
- Why Veronica Mars doesn’t drop any F-bombs in Hulu’s adult-rated revival Today 7:11 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Taco Chronicles’ will make your heart soar and mouth water Today 7:00 AM
- The view of Prime Day from Amazon’s warehouse strike Today 6:30 AM
- Conspiracy theorists think underground nukes are to blame for California’s earthquakes Today 6:30 AM
- How to follow along with San Diego Comic Con online Today 6:00 AM
- How to live stream the International Champions Cup Today 5:00 AM
- A police union is urging its officers to post ‘The Punisher’ logo Monday 7:33 PM
- Redditors call for a Nestlé boycott through memes Monday 6:16 PM
- How a 10-second Disney jingle became a meme in Thailand Monday 4:48 PM
- Instagram users share photos showing gruesome killing of 17-year-old Bianca Devins Monday 4:33 PM
Take home Sony’s Aibo, the world’s cutest robotic dog, for nearly $3,000
It’s doggone expensive.
Meet Aibo. Cute, right?
This robotic dog from Sony is finally making its way to the U.S. after long being exclusive to Japan. Starting this September, you can bring home one of the robopups and dote on it day and night—just like you would a real fur baby.
There’s a catch, though. Your obedient and amazing and beautiful Aibo will run you a pretty penny. That is, nearly $3,000. OK, so it’s actually $2,899. But that’s more than a MacBook or a decent entertainment setup in your home. It’s a small nest egg!
But … look how cute Aibo is.
Aibo comes with a selection of toys, an “Aibone” to play with, replaceable paw pads, and other items you can use to spend time with your adorable robot friend. It also comes with a charging station to make sure it’s in tip-top shape every day.
But the robodog is more than just a glorified, mobile Giga Pet. It utilizes artificial intelligence to learn more about you, how you interact with it, and your surroundings. The toy can communicate with the AI Cloud via Wi-Fi or cellular connectivity to keep in touch with its owners, and it has a camera in its nose and on its back to help it get around. It also features tons of sensors that make cuddling it and petting it feel a lot like interacting with a real dog.
The dog’s re-release for Western buyers is limited, so if you plan on owning one of these cute creations, you’ll want to act fast. But unsurprisingly, some people aren’t feeling the exorbitant price for Aibo, no matter how endearing the little guy is.
Aibo dog: „Now that you have bought me, let me tell you: You are feeling poor.“#robodog— Markus Wierz (@markuswierz) August 23, 2018
To be fair, $3,000 is an awful lot to pay for a robotic dog that you’ll probably mess about with for a few hours and then shut off. But some haven’t let the price tag stop them from dreaming.
Lol I know but I waaaant it.— Andrew Rabon (@andrewrabon) August 23, 2018
I need a new laptop first for my short films. Hopefully Aibo drops in price next year...
And this person has a point. Have you seen vet bills lately?
Man if you think an Aibo is more expensive than a real dog I have some bad news about how long they live and how much a vet costs— Ed Zitron (@edzitron) August 23, 2018
Hopefully, the future will bring a price drop for Aibo so these cuties can gallop their way into the hearts and homes of more robotic dog fanatics around the world. Bring on cheaper Aibo pets for all!
Brittany Vincent has covered gaming, anime, tech, and entertainment for over a decade. When she’s not writing, she’s replaying Um Jammer Lammy or Day of the Tentacle for the hundredth time while pining for a Harvester sequel. Find her on Twitter @MolotovCupcake.