Since their introduction to iOS in 2011, emoji have remixed how we communicate. These quirky little shapes and faces are the closest thing the connected world has to a universal language. Our vocabulary is set to expand in June, when the world gets potentially 69 new emoji.
On Wednesday Emoji Version 5.0 was introduced over on Emojipedia. These candidates are working drafts, but the new wave will pull from this herd. It’s a stacked rundown of candidates.
Check them out below:
69 new emojis coming June 30 including mermaid, genie, T-Rex, UFO. Here they are: pic.twitter.com/bu4BU42zRf
— Mike Sington (@MikeSington) March 22, 2017
- The Scottish flag, which has been an essential omission from the current selection of global flags.
- The can of tomatoes, which is useless, tasteless, and weirdly specific.
- The dinosaurs, which will surely be incorporated into global slang for “this conversation is getting old, dude.”
- The bearded white person, who seems both sensitive and masculine.
- The blue overcoat, because it’s cold outside and you better bundle up.
No word yet on when we’ll finally get a standard Kevin Hart emoji.
Pure, uncut internet. Straight to your inbox.