- Distressing TikTok shows woman being sexually harassed Wednesday 7:49 PM
- Dele Alli charged with misconduct for video mocking Asian man over the coronavirus Wednesday 7:18 PM
- Teen says she is suicidal after bullying video goes viral Wednesday 6:01 PM
- Trump supporters claim Reddit is staging a coup against The_Donald Wednesday 5:58 PM
- Conservative parliament member’s teabag photo spills serious tea Wednesday 5:27 PM
- Right-wing conspiracy theorists see coronavirus as a plot against Trump Wednesday 5:25 PM
- Chapo Trap House among leftist channels banned on Twitch for streaming Democratic debate Wednesday 4:20 PM
- Meet Ryker, the world’s worst service dog Wednesday 4:01 PM
- Far-right blogger claims Trump ordered arrest of Julian Assange Wednesday 3:47 PM
- Reddit man wants to tell people he’s been with his girlfriend for one year instead of 6—for an incredibly dumb reason Wednesday 2:18 PM
- John C. Reilly’s son Leo is a TikTok star Wednesday 1:58 PM
- ‘Vanderpump Rules’ recap: A friendship sails Wednesday 1:52 PM
- For celebs, Kobe Bryant tattoos are all the rage Wednesday 1:01 PM
- The internet has discovered Jim and Pam Halpert’s daughter—and she’s on TikTok Wednesday 12:32 PM
- YouPorn launches adult-themed TikTok knock-off (updated) Wednesday 12:29 PM
As we spend more and more time inside digital worlds, documenting human behavior in virtual spaces has become an exciting new field of research.
This week on 2 Girls 1 Podcast, Alli and Jen (actors who perform weird internet stuff on stage) talk to gaming archaeologist Andrew Reinhard about his expeditions inside the universe of space exploration game No Man’s Sky.
Reinhard, who is working on a Ph.D. in gaming archaeology, is documenting the abandoned civilizations left behind by players when No Man’s Sky was recently updated—a transformation he calls a “climate change event” that compelled many to leave their homes among the stars.
Reinhard was also the archaeologist who assisted filmmakers in unearthing the legendary Atari game dump, in which thousands of E.T. cartridges were buried in the ’80s after a massive commercial failure.
UPDATE (6/25/2018): You can now purchase Reinhard’s book Archaeogaming, which chronicles his research in video game archaeology.
Subscribe to 2 Girls 1 Podcast wherever you listen to your favorite podcasts and get new episodes one week early on the free TuneIn app!
We’d love to hear from you!
- Email the show: [email protected]
- Tweet us: @alligold, @joonbugger, @alliandjen
- Call us: (347) 871-6548 (Leave us a message with a suggestion, personal story, original song, or just shout into your phone. We might play your voicemail on the show.)
If you enjoy this podcast, consider sharing it with a friend or two, and use the hashtag #2G1P. We’ll be watching!
Matt Silverman is the director of video and producer of 2 Girls 1 Podcast at the Daily Dot. He has been making internet shows and viral videos for nearly a decade, and has directed top talent including John Oliver, Kevin Bacon, Kate McKinnon, Alton Brown, and the Sesame Street Muppets. Silverman is also the creator of FREE DAD VIDEOS, a comedy and music channel with his young children.