- The giant battle episode of ‘Game of Thrones’ is nearly here Sunday 10:12 PM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ finally revealed the Night King’s endgame Sunday 9:53 PM
- Sri Lankan government shuts down social media in wake of deadly blasts Sunday 7:56 PM
- Amazon Flex drivers now must use selfies to verify identity Sunday 6:34 PM
- #GentrifyingGeorge thinks 152-year-old HBCU should ‘just move’ Sunday 5:27 PM
- Watch out! Tonight’s episode of ‘Game of Thrones’ leaked online (updated) Sunday 3:32 PM
- Videos of people working may be the best thing on TikTok right now Sunday 1:46 PM
- How to watch ‘Game of Thrones’ season 8, episode 2 for free Sunday 7:00 AM
- Gendry is making a new weapon for Arya Stark—but what is it? Sunday 6:30 AM
- The live-action Halo series could be Showtime’s most ambitious project yet Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to watch Turner Classic Movies for free Sunday 5:30 AM
- How to watch Real Madrid vs. Athletic Bilbao online for free Sunday 5:00 AM
- ‘Star Trek’s Jonathan Frakes calls out your lies with this new meme Saturday 3:46 PM
- #JusticeForLucca trends after video shows police slam Black teen’s head into pavement Saturday 3:11 PM
- The internet is shocked to learn that Goombas do, in fact, have arms Saturday 2:02 PM
Vlogbrothers’ Hank Green announces GIF art and remix contest
“We propose that the GIF is an artform,” Green wrote in the contest announcement.
Do you think that GIFs are an underappreciated art form? Well, Hank Green of the Vlogbrothers YouTube channel certainly does. In a new video pondering the future of YouTube culture, he praised GIF and remix artists, and announced a pair of contests for Nerdfighters—the massive worldwide community of Vlogbrothers viewers.
Titled the GIFmaster awards, the first of these two contests is sure to be popular with the Tumblr crowd. As Hank Green wrote on his own Tumblr account:
“WE PROPOSE THAT THE GIF IS AN ARTFORM. The constraints and attributes of the medium, whether file size, photoset layouts, looping, frame stalls…it’s amazingly complicated. The creators of epic GIFs, of course, do not do it for money or fame or even recognition, they do it because they love it.”
GIF via t-jam3s/Tumblr
The other contest is geared towards audio remixers, offering Nerdfighters the chance to remix samples of Hank Green’s song, “Look at Hank’s Face.” For the next week, Nerdfighters will be posting their GIFs and audio clips to Tumblr, under the GIFmaster and Hank’s Face tags, with the Vlogbrothers reblogging some of the most interesting entries.
The first few days of the Hank’s Face contest have already provided an intriguing variety of remixes, from cheery electronica by Soundcloud user Metablip, to this Industrial noise remix — complete with stencil-style cover art — from YouTube’s Allan Gagnon:
At the end of the week, the entries with the most Tumblr notes will win an as-yet unspecified grand prize. We’ve taken a gander at the GIFmaster tag, and it’s safe to say that there’s already some stiff competition out there. In no particular order, here are some of our favourites.
Artist ericaofanderson experiments with abstract animation:
thinkaboutelephants offers an iridescent GIF of a fossil ammonite in close-up:
And sirfez’s entry is sure to be popular with the many Doctor Who fans of Nerdfighteria:
Image via edwardspoonhands
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested.