- Don Cheadle made important fashion choices on ‘SNL’ 6 Years Ago
- Why the Twitter left loves to dunk on Max Boot Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch ‘Last Week Tonight with John Oliver’ online for free Today 6:30 AM
- How to stream Francis Ngannou vs. Cain Velasquez for free Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream the 2019 Daytona 500 for free Today 5:50 AM
- 7-year-old YouTuber to get his own show on Nickelodeon Saturday 5:30 PM
- ‘Hipster’ jobs are trending, and Indeed says the market is booming Saturday 3:33 PM
- Trump meme removed after copyright complaint Saturday 2:15 PM
- Facebook pushes back against moderators complaining about ‘Big Brother’ environment Saturday 12:46 PM
- Twitter hid post from an account linked to Iran’s Supreme Leader Saturday 10:17 AM
- How to stream Leo Santa Cruz vs. Rafael Rivera for free Saturday 8:00 AM
- ‘Larry Charles’ Dangerous World of Comedy’ finds the balance between tragedy and comedy Saturday 7:30 AM
- How to stream Michael ‘Venom’ Page vs. Paul Daley for free Saturday 7:00 AM
- How to watch the NBA Dunk Contest 2019 online for free Saturday 6:50 AM
- The best new TV shows to stream this weekend Saturday 6:00 AM
Vlogbrothers’ Hank Green announces GIF art and remix contest
“We propose that the GIF is an artform,” Green wrote in the contest announcement.
Do you think that GIFs are an underappreciated art form? Well, Hank Green of the Vlogbrothers YouTube channel certainly does. In a new video pondering the future of YouTube culture, he praised GIF and remix artists, and announced a pair of contests for Nerdfighters—the massive worldwide community of Vlogbrothers viewers.
Titled the GIFmaster awards, the first of these two contests is sure to be popular with the Tumblr crowd. As Hank Green wrote on his own Tumblr account:
“WE PROPOSE THAT THE GIF IS AN ARTFORM. The constraints and attributes of the medium, whether file size, photoset layouts, looping, frame stalls…it’s amazingly complicated. The creators of epic GIFs, of course, do not do it for money or fame or even recognition, they do it because they love it.”
GIF via t-jam3s/Tumblr
The other contest is geared towards audio remixers, offering Nerdfighters the chance to remix samples of Hank Green’s song, “Look at Hank’s Face.” For the next week, Nerdfighters will be posting their GIFs and audio clips to Tumblr, under the GIFmaster and Hank’s Face tags, with the Vlogbrothers reblogging some of the most interesting entries.
The first few days of the Hank’s Face contest have already provided an intriguing variety of remixes, from cheery electronica by Soundcloud user Metablip, to this Industrial noise remix — complete with stencil-style cover art — from YouTube’s Allan Gagnon:
At the end of the week, the entries with the most Tumblr notes will win an as-yet unspecified grand prize. We’ve taken a gander at the GIFmaster tag, and it’s safe to say that there’s already some stiff competition out there. In no particular order, here are some of our favourites.
Artist ericaofanderson experiments with abstract animation:
thinkaboutelephants offers an iridescent GIF of a fossil ammonite in close-up:
And sirfez’s entry is sure to be popular with the many Doctor Who fans of Nerdfighteria:
Image via edwardspoonhands
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested.