- The chicken sandwich war is in full throttle on Twitter 6 Years Ago
- Netflix’s ‘Sextuplets’ proves Marlon Wayans is no Eddie Murphy—or even Mike Myers 6 Years Ago
- Facebook is finally rolling out its clear history tool 6 Years Ago
- ‘Theater etiquette’ tweets surge after YouTuber cast in ‘Waitress’ 6 Years Ago
- A GoFundMe for Eric Garner’s killer has raised more than $70,000 Today 12:49 PM
- YouTuber finds GoPro footage of man who drowned in 2017 Today 12:20 PM
- Netflix’s ’45 rpm’ is as tired as the boomer rock era it tries to honor Today 11:38 AM
- Teen arrested for threatening to ‘slaughter’ abortion clinic on iFunny Today 11:29 AM
- How to stream the LA Galaxy vs. Cruz Azul Leagues Cup semifinal match Today 11:10 AM
- Going broke over the App Store? Here’s how to turn off in-app purchases Today 10:49 AM
- Jill Biden says even if you don’t like Joe Biden, you need to vote for Joe Biden Today 10:43 AM
- Report on ideal thermostat temperature brings out the dad jokes Today 10:28 AM
- Edited videos of Portland protests are telling half-truths Today 10:20 AM
- Netflix debuts upcoming releases section on the Netflix TV app Today 9:29 AM
- Marianne Williams announces plan for a Department of Peace Today 8:53 AM
Vlogbrothers’ Hank Green announces GIF art and remix contest
“We propose that the GIF is an artform,” Green wrote in the contest announcement.
Do you think that GIFs are an underappreciated art form? Well, Hank Green of the Vlogbrothers YouTube channel certainly does. In a new video pondering the future of YouTube culture, he praised GIF and remix artists, and announced a pair of contests for Nerdfighters—the massive worldwide community of Vlogbrothers viewers.
Titled the GIFmaster awards, the first of these two contests is sure to be popular with the Tumblr crowd. As Hank Green wrote on his own Tumblr account:
“WE PROPOSE THAT THE GIF IS AN ARTFORM. The constraints and attributes of the medium, whether file size, photoset layouts, looping, frame stalls…it’s amazingly complicated. The creators of epic GIFs, of course, do not do it for money or fame or even recognition, they do it because they love it.”
GIF via t-jam3s/Tumblr
The other contest is geared towards audio remixers, offering Nerdfighters the chance to remix samples of Hank Green’s song, “Look at Hank’s Face.” For the next week, Nerdfighters will be posting their GIFs and audio clips to Tumblr, under the GIFmaster and Hank’s Face tags, with the Vlogbrothers reblogging some of the most interesting entries.
The first few days of the Hank’s Face contest have already provided an intriguing variety of remixes, from cheery electronica by Soundcloud user Metablip, to this Industrial noise remix — complete with stencil-style cover art — from YouTube’s Allan Gagnon:
At the end of the week, the entries with the most Tumblr notes will win an as-yet unspecified grand prize. We’ve taken a gander at the GIFmaster tag, and it’s safe to say that there’s already some stiff competition out there. In no particular order, here are some of our favourites.
Artist ericaofanderson experiments with abstract animation:
thinkaboutelephants offers an iridescent GIF of a fossil ammonite in close-up:
And sirfez’s entry is sure to be popular with the many Doctor Who fans of Nerdfighteria:
Image via edwardspoonhands
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor