- Trump maintains attack on late John McCain 6 Years Ago
- How to know if someone blocked you on Snapchat 6 Years Ago
- Drag queens are calling on DirecTV to keep Viacom channels 6 Years Ago
- Daniel Caesar dons cape for whiteness—and gets canceled Wednesday 4:29 PM
- Triton is a new malware ‘deliberately’ designed to put lives at risk Wednesday 3:23 PM
- ‘Into the Dark: I’m Just F*cking with You’ is one of the series’ best Wednesday 1:54 PM
- Trump’s latest prop, a map of ISIS, gets memed Wednesday 12:54 PM
- HBO sends fans on a global scavenger hunt for 6 Iron Thrones Wednesday 11:51 AM
- The Awkward Family Photos game is Cards Against Humanity for meme lovers Wednesday 11:50 AM
- London firefighters’ organization accuses ‘Peppa Pig’ of sexism Wednesday 11:41 AM
- YouTuber accused of abusing her children to make kid-friendly content Wednesday 11:20 AM
- Ari Fleischer’s Iraq War tweet isn’t going over well Wednesday 10:54 AM
- Cop arrested for recording man’s genitals, forcing mentally ill man to twerk Wednesday 10:37 AM
- MoviePass rebrands its unlimited plan, again Wednesday 10:37 AM
- Former Alaska senator launches meme-filled 2020 primary campaign Wednesday 10:17 AM
Good Guy Greg, meet Good Girl Gina. Gender parity in Internet culture is a good thing, right? Well, not when Gina’s good deeds are limited to this.
Good Guy Greg, meet Good Girl Gina.
It was inevitable that the popular image macro of a thoughtful, considerate guy smoking a joint led to the creation of a female counterpart. Gender parity in Internet culture is a good thing, right?
Well, not when Gina’s good deeds are limited to this:
After “seeing what I thought was the hundredth Gina who cooked breakfast after giving a guy a blowjob while he smoked a joint and played Nintendo,” Redditor LaTex_fetish decided to scrape the popular image site Quickmeme to “capture the essence” of Good Girl Gina.
The conclusion: Most of the time, she was little more than a sexualized, objectified stereotype whose “goodness” relies not on her thoughtfulness, but on her capacity to serve men.
“So what can we glean from all this? If someone wants to be a Good Girl, then reddit already has it figured out. A Good Girl is an object to be lusted after. A Good Girl makes sure you’re sexually satisfied, either by her or someone else,” LaTex_fetish added. “Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go barf.”
In total, LaTex_fetish found 443 variations of the meme that sexualize or objectify women, 226 that praised women for being available for sex (even when they didn’t want to be), and 73 that depict women preparing food or drink.
The following images—among dozens of others—were added as further examples of the meme’s dark side. Some might be NSFW:
LaTex_fetish posted the findings on Reddit’s r/ShitReddtSays forum, a subreddit that attempts to turn the table on purveyors of misogyny and racism. More than 270 people commented on the study, offering their own notes on meme sexism. The discussion led LaTex_fetish to dub the thread “the Shit Reddit Says Users’ Meme Analysis Division, or SRSUMAD for short.”
“[T]hanks for putting this all together. I’ve noticed that almost any advice animal that’s negative is a woman and the neutral/positive ones are all men, at least regarding the photos used if not also the name of the meme,” grizzlybaroo commented. “The good teacher is a man, the bad is a woman. Even random things like “bad radio DJ” use a woman’s picture.”
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.