- The internet just collectively realized that the Neopets of the world must be hungry 4 Years Ago
- Alt-right message board 8chan was served a search warrant Today 3:06 PM
- O.J. Simpson just joined Twitter in the most bizarre fashion Today 1:20 PM
- Prominent phone-hacking firm says it can unlock any iPhone for law enforcement Today 12:39 PM
- Hundreds of police officers belong to extremist Facebook groups, investigation finds Today 9:31 AM
- How to watch Tyson Fury vs. Tom Schwarz online Today 8:00 AM
- ‘Late Night’ is a disappointing, tepid comedy Today 7:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Love It or List It’ for free Today 7:00 AM
- How to watch the 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup online for free Today 6:55 AM
- Borderlands 3 preview suggests the aging series can still hang with the cool kids Today 6:30 AM
- How to stream the 2019 College World Series for free Today 6:00 AM
- Police try to solve domestic violence by giving victims blunt kitchen knives Friday 5:40 PM
- Privacy activist Ola Bini detained for 2 months in Ecuador without charges Friday 5:01 PM
- Twitter says suspending ‘God’ for a pro-LGBTQ tweet was an ‘error’ Friday 4:14 PM
- ‘You were at my wedding Denise’ stirs controversy again with ‘lubed legs’ tweet Friday 3:31 PM
2 police officers in serious condition after being shot at Ferguson protest
They were keeping an eye on the latest Ferguson protest.
Tensions rose between protesters and police Wednesday night following the resignation of Ferguson Police Chief Thomas Jackson, who is now the sixth person to have resigned or been fired as a result of the damning Department of Justice report on the Ferguson justice system and its culture of racism.
Shots were fired from somewhere north or northwest of the Ferguson Police Department building shortly after 12am CT, where some protesters and police officers still stood. Before then, the protests, which had been taking place since around 8pm CT, had been peaceful.
Raw footage from livestreams broadcasting the latest protests captured the moment shots were fired.
The two officers wounded by the gunshots are conscious but still in serious condition. At least three shots were fired at police officers, according to St. Louis County Police Chief John Belmar. The St. Louis County officer was shot in the shoulder while a Webster Groves officer was shot in the face.
“These police officers were standing there, and they were shot just because they were police officers,” Belmar told media in St. Louis Thursday morning.
“We have seen in law enforcement,” he continued, “that this is a very, very, very dangerous environment for the officers to work, in regarding the amount of gunfire that we have experienced up there.”
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.