- People are demanding the man who filmed the killing of Eric Garner be freed with #FreeRamsey Monday 7:36 PM
- Billie Eilish’s ‘Bad Guy’ unseats ‘Old Town Road’ from the No. 1 spot Monday 6:11 PM
- People think Ghislaine Maxwell was Photoshopped in those In-N-Out photos Monday 5:41 PM
- People are transfixed by a TikTok cat dancing along to ‘Mr. Sandman’ Monday 4:52 PM
- Nazi troll pretending to be antifa in Portland gets outed by internet Monday 4:15 PM
- ‘Dear White People’ season 3 reflects the exhaustion of the times—for better or for worse Monday 3:59 PM
- ‘Seinfeld’ and ‘Friends’ fans feud over which sitcom is better Monday 3:57 PM
- Anti-abortion centers are getting around Google’s misinformation policy Monday 3:45 PM
- Twitter, Facebook remove Chinese accounts spreading Hong Kong misinformation Monday 3:41 PM
- ‘Mindhunter’ season 2 offers no happy endings Monday 3:19 PM
- How to watch ‘The Righteous Gemstones’ online Monday 3:03 PM
- ‘Mindhunter’ season 2 brings out the memes Monday 2:59 PM
- Rumor suggests the X-Men might battle the Avengers on-screen Monday 2:54 PM
- The CDC is investigating cases of severe lung damage linked to vaping Monday 2:08 PM
- How to stream the 49ers vs. Broncos on (preseason) Monday Night Football Monday 1:24 PM
Tensions rose between protesters and police Wednesday night following the resignation of Ferguson Police Chief Thomas Jackson, who is now the sixth person to have resigned or been fired as a result of the damning Department of Justice report on the Ferguson justice system and its culture of racism.
Shots were fired from somewhere north or northwest of the Ferguson Police Department building shortly after 12am CT, where some protesters and police officers still stood. Before then, the protests, which had been taking place since around 8pm CT, had been peaceful.
Raw footage from livestreams broadcasting the latest protests captured the moment shots were fired.
The two officers wounded by the gunshots are conscious but still in serious condition. At least three shots were fired at police officers, according to St. Louis County Police Chief John Belmar. The St. Louis County officer was shot in the shoulder while a Webster Groves officer was shot in the face.
“These police officers were standing there, and they were shot just because they were police officers,” Belmar told media in St. Louis Thursday morning.
“We have seen in law enforcement,” he continued, “that this is a very, very, very dangerous environment for the officers to work, in regarding the amount of gunfire that we have experienced up there.”
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.