- UPS facing backlash for thanking police after employee killed in shootout Saturday 5:02 PM
- Sanders campaign fires staffer after anti-Semitic, homophobic tweets surface Saturday 3:13 PM
- Brother Nature was attacked, says everyone just watched with phones out Saturday 2:45 PM
- Ryan Reynolds’ gin company hires Peloton wife for ad Saturday 1:24 PM
- Ex-vegan YouTuber accused of fraud after following meat-only diet Saturday 1:11 PM
- The 15 best Disney+ hidden gems and deep cuts Saturday 12:23 PM
- Everyone in GoFundMe scam involving homeless veteran has now pleaded guilty Saturday 12:06 PM
- Boy invites kindergarten class to his adoption–and people are emotional Saturday 11:56 AM
- Reddit links leaked trade deal documents to Russian campaign Saturday 10:44 AM
- How to stream Alistair Overeem vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik Saturday 8:30 AM
- Amazon sends customers condoms and soap instead of Nintendo Switch Saturday 8:28 AM
- How to live stream Jermall Charlo vs. Dennis Hogan Saturday 8:00 AM
- Apple TV’s ‘Truth Be Told’ is a criminally dull drama Saturday 6:00 AM
- Thousands of Uber users have reported sexual assaults, company says Friday 5:40 PM
- ‘Astronomy Club’ reformats the sketch show Friday 4:58 PM
Online predator lured teen girls by posing as Harry Styles
“My hope is that the girl will show me herself on camera,” said a 45-year-old man who is not One Direction singer Harry Styles.
Given the sheer enormity of the One Direction fandom, it’s no surprise that many Directioners are in their teens and tweens, which means they’re unprotected and gullible.
So it’s both heartbreaking and totally inevitable that a pedophile has been arrested on charges of luring teens into online sex acts by pretending to be 1D heartthrob Harry Styles.
45-year-old John Eastman from Connecticut used the Skype name Harry.Styles888 to lure teens into posing for him on webcams, in some cases promising them concert tickets to get them to participate. After being investigated in 2012, Eastman first cooperated with police by giving them his computer—where they found over 500 pictures of child pornography.
Afterwards, Eastman, who had five previous convictions in Connecticut and spent 10 years on its sex offender registry, fled to Virginia. He was caught and arraigned on Thursday.
“My hope is that the girl will show me herself on camera and then pose in a sexual manner, or perform some kind of sex act for me to see,” Eastman told detectives in his 2012 arrest warrant. Eastman came under investigation after an alleged conversation he had with three teenage girls while pretending to be Styles.
The real Harry Styles, just coming off a European tour, spent the weekend celebrating his mother’s wedding, where he was best man. He has so far had no comment on the incident.
Photo via io_burn/flickr
Heads up to Directioners: If you can’t get Harry Styles to follow you back on Twitter, there’s even less likelihood of you getting some alone time with him on the Internet.
H/T Gothamist | Photo via sundaysaregloomy/deviantART
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.