- 2020 Democrats refuse to answer our questions about ‘Cats’ Friday 4:14 PM
- Belle Delphine’s Instagram account removed after mass reporting campaign Friday 4:08 PM
- Mariah Carey refuses old-age FaceApp challenge Friday 3:19 PM
- Journalists horrified by consolidation of Gatehouse, Gannett Friday 3:12 PM
- Facebook and Google could be tracking you on porn sites Friday 1:42 PM
- 7 best sites for psychic love readings Friday 1:20 PM
- Driver demonstrates why you always need to read road signs Friday 12:58 PM
- Area 51 remix video proves it’s the summer of Lil Nas X Friday 12:26 PM
- ‘ICE will come’: Convenience store clerk threatens customers speaking Spanish Friday 12:11 PM
- Rand Paul dodges questions about 9/11 Victims Fund, says ‘watch Fox News’ Friday 11:51 AM
- Report: ‘Stranger Things’ season 4 to begin shooting in October Friday 11:03 AM
- AT&T paid Michael Cohen to consult on net neutrality, FBI documents show Friday 9:10 AM
- Mysterio’s ruse changes on a second viewing of ‘Far From Home’ Friday 9:06 AM
- Twitter overturns Barrett Brown’s third permanent suspension Friday 8:49 AM
- How to live stream Liga MX Friday 7:56 AM
Surveillance footage shows Florida State QB allegedly hitting woman in the face
Unlike the Jameis Winston case, Florida law enforcement officials are showing initiative.
When Heisman Trophy winner and No. 1 overall NFL draft pick Jameis Winston was accused of sexual assault in 2012, the Tallahassee, Florida, police department and the state’s law enforcement officials in general were roundly criticized for how poorly they handled the case.
But now that another Florida State quarterback is accused of assaulting a woman, the State Attorney Office has released surveillance video of what appears to show De’Andre Johnson punching a woman in the face at a Tallahassee bar.
Here’s the video, via the Tallahassee Democrat.
(Note: the video contains graphic content).
Johnson, 19, was charged with battery late last month after allegedly striking the woman at Yianni’s Nightclub at about 11:30pm ET on June 24.
Police said the woman was ordering a drink at the bar when Johnson appeared to try force his way past her. The two, who apparently didn’t know each other, argued, and the woman cocked her fist. Then, Johnson appeared to grab her, not letting her go even though she raised her knee to his midsection and then threw a punch at him.
After Johnson allegedly struck her, police said she had a bruised left eye, a swollen cheek and swollen upper lip, and a small cut on her nose.
Unlike Winston, Johnson isn’t expected to be a star this season. According to the Democrat, Johnson was expected to be the third- or fourth-string quarterback for 2015. After this video was released Monday, it seems highly unlikely that Johnson will ever take the field for the Seminoles.
Update 9:22pm CT, July 6: Johnson has been dismissed from the Seminoles football team, the school announced Monday night.
From the school’s statement: “Florida State head football coach Jimbo Fisher announced Monday evening that freshman De’Andre Johnson has been dismissed from the football team effective immediately. Johnson was indefinitely suspended on June 25 following initial reports of an incident that occurred off campus and resulted in a criminal charge.”
Screengrab via al.com/YouTube
Josh Katzowitz is a staff writer at the Daily Dot specializing in YouTube and boxing. His work has appeared in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times. A longtime sports writer, he's covered the NFL for CBSSports.com and boxing for Forbes. His work has been noted twice in the Best American Sports Writing book series.