- How to create your very own Instagram hoax 5 Years Ago
- ‘Spider-Man’ fans want to ‘storm’ Sony’s office in New York to protest him leaving the MCU 5 Years Ago
- White House proposing ‘Minority Report’-style office to use data to predict crime 5 Years Ago
- Streamer OnlyUseMeBlade accused of sexually assaulting a sleeping woman 5 Years Ago
- How to stream Raiders vs. Packers in NFL preseason action Today 10:07 AM
- Say hello to ‘antira,’ the far-right’s answer to antifa Today 9:28 AM
- Bernie Sanders proposes sweeping plan to combat climate change Today 9:11 AM
- Is ‘Save Spider-Man from Sony’ fueled by pro-Disney bots? Today 8:41 AM
- ‘Jawline’ takes a stunning look at influencers and the social media gold rush Today 7:00 AM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Netflix in September 2019 Today 6:58 AM
- The biggest conspiracy theories around Area 51 Today 6:30 AM
- How to listen to YouTube music in the background on your phone Today 6:00 AM
- Lyft received a whopping 7 sexual assault lawsuits in a day Wednesday 10:00 PM
- High school reopens investigation into Nazi salute video after other racist videos emerge Wednesday 7:14 PM
- Facebook content moderators continue to suffer from brutal working conditions Wednesday 5:58 PM
A dump truck led cops on a crazy freeway chase in California
Hollywood’s viral ad campaigns have gone too far.
For more than an hour and a half, a male suspect who allegedly assaulted a police officer who pulled him over in Ontario, Calif., has led cops in a high-speed chase through residential areas and along freeways. He’s driving a fully loaded big rig whose storage container he’s attempted to jettison at several points.
Naturally, bored media Twitter is going insane.
— Robert Bennett (@WAVY10Bob) May 27, 2014
Although repeatedly boxed in on various narrow roads and in a gas station, the driver has been able to evade law enforcement time and again—and is currently headed toward the Mexican border. It’s thought that techniques typically used to stop fleeing motorists (such as a PIT maneuver) would be mostly useless against the large vehicle, which is barreling along at speeds of up to 90 miles per hour; so far, it’s avoided one spike strip. Follow the drama live below:
The driver is also said to have nearly run over the officer he’s accused of assaulting, so police are being especially cautious and treating him as violent. If he manages to reach the border without running out of gas or into traffic, they hope to catch him at the customs checkpoint.
Miles Klee is a novelist and web culture reporter. The former editor of the Daily Dot’s Unclick section, Klee’s essays, satire, and fiction have appeared in Lapham’s Quarterly, Vanity Fair, 3:AM, Salon, the Awl, the New York Observer, the Millions, and the Village Voice. He's the author of two odd books of fiction, 'Ivyland' and 'True False.'