- The decade the hucksters overran the halls of power 6 Years Ago
- Ninja mocked for not knowing how to make a sandwich Wednesday 9:30 PM
- Marvel comics writer discusses misogyny in the industry Wednesday 9:09 PM
- TikTok conspiracy theorists think Juice WRLD is still alive Wednesday 7:03 PM
- Conservatives are protesting YouTube’s new harassment rules Wednesday 5:36 PM
- YouTuber’s ‘creepy’ comment about Taylor Swift’s eggs gets ratioed Wednesday 5:31 PM
- Bloomberg razzed for accidentally making an Alexa Fleshlight Wednesday 5:29 PM
- Who is putting cowboy hats on pigeons? Wednesday 4:33 PM
- Scammer reportedly bribed Facebook employee to keep posts up Wednesday 3:36 PM
- The 1975’s singer criticized for ‘Islamophobic’ rant Wednesday 3:22 PM
- Ready to dish out $52K for Apple’s new Mac Pro? Wednesday 3:03 PM
- N.K. Jemisin and Jamal Campbell discuss their new Green Lantern comic, ‘Far Sector’ Wednesday 3:00 PM
- YouTube says it will be harsher on creators with ‘patterns of harassing behavior’ Wednesday 1:15 PM
- Why one senator stopped a vote on net neutrality Wednesday 12:49 PM
- Man reportedly denied refugee status after officials fail to forward email Wednesday 12:09 PM
A dump truck led cops on a crazy freeway chase in California
Hollywood’s viral ad campaigns have gone too far.
For more than an hour and a half, a male suspect who allegedly assaulted a police officer who pulled him over in Ontario, Calif., has led cops in a high-speed chase through residential areas and along freeways. He’s driving a fully loaded big rig whose storage container he’s attempted to jettison at several points.
Naturally, bored media Twitter is going insane.
— Robert Bennett (@WAVY10Bob) May 27, 2014
Although repeatedly boxed in on various narrow roads and in a gas station, the driver has been able to evade law enforcement time and again—and is currently headed toward the Mexican border. It’s thought that techniques typically used to stop fleeing motorists (such as a PIT maneuver) would be mostly useless against the large vehicle, which is barreling along at speeds of up to 90 miles per hour; so far, it’s avoided one spike strip. Follow the drama live below:
The driver is also said to have nearly run over the officer he’s accused of assaulting, so police are being especially cautious and treating him as violent. If he manages to reach the border without running out of gas or into traffic, they hope to catch him at the customs checkpoint.
Miles Klee is a novelist and web culture reporter. The former editor of the Daily Dot’s Unclick section, Klee’s essays, satire, and fiction have appeared in Lapham’s Quarterly, Vanity Fair, 3:AM, Salon, the Awl, the New York Observer, the Millions, and the Village Voice. He's the author of two odd books of fiction, 'Ivyland' and 'True False.'