- Here’s everything you need to know about Disney Plus 5 Years Ago
- Instagram included in Facebook transparency report for the first time 5 Years Ago
- PayPal pulls out of Pornhub, leaving sex workers to consider cryptocurrency 5 Years Ago
- Billionaires are resorting to making racist jokes against Warren now Today 1:30 PM
- What is the meme of the decade? Today 1:07 PM
- At least 5 employees resign from GitHub, citing ICE contract Today 12:57 PM
- The ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ redesign was led by a ‘Sonic’ artist Today 12:17 PM
- The 16-inch MacBook Pro is a beast, and it has a decent keyboard Today 11:24 AM
- This group is scanning thousands of faces in Congress today to protest facial recognition Today 11:09 AM
- Why is everyone debating Pete Buttigieg’s Medicare for All stance? Today 10:47 AM
- The Motorola Razr is a foldable homage to millennial nostalgia Today 10:22 AM
- The ‘I’m baby’ meme gets much more literal on TikTok Today 10:20 AM
- MrDeadMoth avoids jail time for assaulting pregnant partner during live stream Today 9:21 AM
- Deval Patrick 2020 fever is not catching on Today 9:08 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Browns on Thursday Night Football Today 8:13 AM
4chan had photos of gruesome murder before it was reported to police
Disturbingly, it doesn’t appear to be a hoax.
This story contains graphic content that may be NSFW.
Police are investigating a Washingon man who apparently murdered a woman before posting photos of her corpse on the notorious anonymous online message board 4chan.
Screenshots circulating online show multiple photos of the apparent murder, as well as the suspect discussing it. They appear to have been posted shortly before 3pm on Tuesday, Nov. 4, and the suspect tells other 4chan users to “watch the news in Port Orchard in a few hours.”
The Daily Dot has seen the screenshots and photos but has not been able to externally verify their authenticity.
Local news reports confirm that the Kitsap County Sheriff’s Office is investigating a “suspicious death in the Port Orchard area, which “appears to be a homicide.” The victim is a woman in her early 30s.
“This is not a random target of opportunity where somebody decided to kick in a door and kill somebody,” spokesperson Scott Wilson said. The photos purportedly of the murder are a focal point of the investigation, Wilson has confirmed.
— Russ Bowen (@RussBowenKOMO) November 5, 2014
The victim’s body was found around 3.30pm Tuesday by a family member—as the suspect predicted on 4chan would happen. News outlets are giving contradictory reports as to whether the victim was the suspect’s wife, girlfriend or otherwise. The 4chan screenshots give no indication as to the nature of the relationship between the two.
The suspect who posted the photos also detailed their intention to commit “suicide by cop,” and the police are currently hunting for the victim’s car, a gold 2001 Ford Focus, with the license plate 495-YLY.
Threads discussing the case on 4chan are being deleted almost immediately.
Rob Price is a technology and politics reporter who served as the U.K.-based morning editor for the Daily Dot until 2014. He now works as the news editor for Business Insider, and his work has appeared in Vice, Slate, the Washington Post, and the Independent.