- How to stream UFC Fight Night 148 for free 5 Years Ago
- The kids are making scantron memes instead of studying 5 Years Ago
- Every installment of Hulu’s ‘Into the Dark,’ ranked Today 6:00 AM
- The internet is mocking Robert Mueller’s report deadline Friday 7:53 PM
- Instagram blocks some anti-vax hashtags—but still has far to go Friday 6:20 PM
- Study: Netflix released more originals than licensed titles last year Friday 2:26 PM
- Laura Ingraham, Dinesh D’Souza slam journalist for having a job Friday 1:40 PM
- Netflix is testing a cheap-as-hell mobile-only plan Friday 1:08 PM
- Astrology app Co-Star’s bizarre push notifications are now a meme Friday 12:18 PM
- ‘The Dirt’ offers a sanitized history of Mötley Crüe—but why? Friday 11:42 AM
- ‘The Dirt’ director Jeff Tremaine on Mötley Crüe’s long, difficult road to Netflix Friday 11:30 AM
- Here’s video of yet another alleged gunman looking for YouTuber Adam22 Friday 11:09 AM
- 12 mugs that are absolutely purr-fect for cat enthusiasts Friday 10:58 AM
- Jared Kushner used WhatsApp for official White House business Friday 10:50 AM
- Unsettled Tom memes are on the rise Friday 10:36 AM
Bad Dragon’s green dildos are firing up the fantasy-sex market
We chat with the company Bad Dragon, which specializes in fantasy sex toys.
Warning: This story contains material that is NSFW.
The Internet is dark, and full of sex toys. The Arizona-based company Bad Dragon, for example, specializes in dragon dildos.
Since 2008, Bad Dragon has sold a variety of fantasy-themed sex toys, but dragon dildos really seem to be their forte. They currently offer 36 dildos—two of which, it must be noted, are not draconic but equine, and seven penetrable toys. (You can also buy a pen!)
“Instead of marketing specifically to men or women, we focus on the common factor between them all: people who really like fantasy characters, and who want to make their fantasies real,” Varka, one of Bad Dragon’s cofounders, told me via email. “We see a lot of variety in the kinds of customers that buy and use our toys, and easily as much variation in how people choose to use them.”
Varka added, “We hear people like to hit each other with the dragon dildos.”
All of Bad Dragon’s products are accompanied by erotic stories. Nox the Night Drake, for example, “knows plenty about the city and enjoys showing you the sights,” reads Nox’s product page. “He also knows a few spots in the park that are perfect for a more intimate kind of meeting.” It goes on.
The dildos, which are made of 100 percent platinum-cured silicone—“because it’s hypoallergenic, non-toxic, body safe, and lasts for a very long time,” Varka wrote—are customizable in a variety of ways, including color and firmness. Some toys have the ability to simulate ejaculation, using something called ‘Cumlube.’”
Other toys, like Nox the Night Drake, come in different sizes and dimensions.
Image via Bad Dragon
Now, though, dragon-dildo customization goes even deeper. A little over a year ago, Bad Dragon launched Bad Dragon Labs, as “a way of opening our design process up to innovative and new designs suggested by the community.” Community members submit between 50 and 100 designs every month, Varka told me, and each month one is chosen to be put into production. Designers whose submissions are chosen get a free toy and $200 in cash or $400 in store credit; if their design is bumped up to a “main-line toy” (i.e., one that comes in different sizes), they will receive another $500.
Unfortunately, Bad Dragon does not offer any Game of Thrones–themed dildos: “We typically steer clear of things that may upset major studios.”
GIF via Giphy
“When we come up with a design and put a character behind it, we typically give it just enough life of its own for people to identify with it—but intentionally leave plenty of room for people to develop their own characters, fantasies or situations to enjoy,” Varka wrote. “It’s about imagination, and taking your fantasies to a place of *your* choosing.”
“Nobody knows for sure what a dragon dick looks like—and that’s half the fun; you get to decide yourself!”
Image via aztlek/Flickr (CC BY 2.0)
Brendan O’Connor is a technology and politics reporter. In April 2016, he joined Gawker Media Group as a staff writer, where he covers the alt-right for its special projects desk.