- Twitter just launched its ‘Hide Replies’ feature 5 Years Ago
- How to turn off image metadata before it snitches on you 5 Years Ago
- The ‘Breaking Bad’ movie is coming to theaters—for one weekend only Today 1:04 PM
- Teens recorded, shared videos of mall fight that ended in fatal stabbing Today 12:44 PM
- How to stream Giants vs. Buccaneers in Week 3 Today 12:31 PM
- Report: Ben Carson made transphobic comments at HUD meeting Today 12:30 PM
- Where to buy the Switch Lite and everything else you need to know Today 12:28 PM
- Facebook is experimenting with apps targeting teens Today 12:21 PM
- #LiveFromTheArea51Raid: Memes and highlights from the desert Today 12:06 PM
- Ready for Dark Mode? Here’s how to get it, and everything else in iOS 13 Today 11:41 AM
- Students across the world are walking out to protest inaction on climate change Today 11:08 AM
- YouTubers are exploiting Area 51 mania for content Today 10:29 AM
- Veterans confront Dan Crenshaw over his support for Trump Today 10:29 AM
- Google Maps may soon come with an Incognito Mode Today 10:13 AM
- Right-wing Beto O’Rourke ‘pissy pants’ meme actually features indie rock star Today 10:11 AM
Bad Dragon’s green dildos are firing up the fantasy-sex market
We chat with the company Bad Dragon, which specializes in fantasy sex toys.
Warning: This story contains material that is NSFW.
The Internet is dark, and full of sex toys. The Arizona-based company Bad Dragon, for example, specializes in dragon dildos.
Since 2008, Bad Dragon has sold a variety of fantasy-themed sex toys, but dragon dildos really seem to be their forte. They currently offer 36 dildos—two of which, it must be noted, are not draconic but equine, and seven penetrable toys. (You can also buy a pen!)
“Instead of marketing specifically to men or women, we focus on the common factor between them all: people who really like fantasy characters, and who want to make their fantasies real,” Varka, one of Bad Dragon’s cofounders, told me via email. “We see a lot of variety in the kinds of customers that buy and use our toys, and easily as much variation in how people choose to use them.”
Varka added, “We hear people like to hit each other with the dragon dildos.”
All of Bad Dragon’s products are accompanied by erotic stories. Nox the Night Drake, for example, “knows plenty about the city and enjoys showing you the sights,” reads Nox’s product page. “He also knows a few spots in the park that are perfect for a more intimate kind of meeting.” It goes on.
The dildos, which are made of 100 percent platinum-cured silicone—“because it’s hypoallergenic, non-toxic, body safe, and lasts for a very long time,” Varka wrote—are customizable in a variety of ways, including color and firmness. Some toys have the ability to simulate ejaculation, using something called ‘Cumlube.’”
Other toys, like Nox the Night Drake, come in different sizes and dimensions.
Image via Bad Dragon
Now, though, dragon-dildo customization goes even deeper. A little over a year ago, Bad Dragon launched Bad Dragon Labs, as “a way of opening our design process up to innovative and new designs suggested by the community.” Community members submit between 50 and 100 designs every month, Varka told me, and each month one is chosen to be put into production. Designers whose submissions are chosen get a free toy and $200 in cash or $400 in store credit; if their design is bumped up to a “main-line toy” (i.e., one that comes in different sizes), they will receive another $500.
Unfortunately, Bad Dragon does not offer any Game of Thrones–themed dildos: “We typically steer clear of things that may upset major studios.”
GIF via Giphy
“When we come up with a design and put a character behind it, we typically give it just enough life of its own for people to identify with it—but intentionally leave plenty of room for people to develop their own characters, fantasies or situations to enjoy,” Varka wrote. “It’s about imagination, and taking your fantasies to a place of *your* choosing.”
“Nobody knows for sure what a dragon dick looks like—and that’s half the fun; you get to decide yourself!”
Image via aztlek/Flickr (CC BY 2.0)
Brendan O’Connor is a technology and politics reporter. In April 2016, he joined Gawker Media Group as a staff writer, where he covers the alt-right for its special projects desk.