- Why Britons are tweeting ‘Little England’ in wake of the U.K. election Today 3:22 PM
- Net neutrality advocates ask for rehearing on federal court decision Today 2:29 PM
- Americans are sharing their #PrivateHealthLIFEhacks to help Brits Today 2:28 PM
- Warren, Sanders, Yang pledge to skip next week’s debate over union dispute Today 2:12 PM
- How to watch tonight’s Nets vs. Raptors matchup on NBA TV Today 2:00 PM
- Alt-right comedian Owen Benjamin banned from Instagram over anti-Semitic memes Today 1:55 PM
- TikTok teens are procrastinating with #FinalsWeek Today 1:46 PM
- ‘The Mandalorian’ takes on a prison break in episode 6 Today 1:30 PM
- Nick Cannon vs. Eminem battle expected to escalate after ‘off-limits’ daughter diss Today 12:50 PM
- Laura Loomer vehemently denies being author of new Laura Loomer-themed action novel Today 12:30 PM
- PewDiePie’s poop-inspired game gets banned by Apple Today 11:29 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ showrunners to adapt ‘Lovecraft’ graphic novel to screen Today 11:00 AM
- The 50 memes that defined the decade Today 10:45 AM
- Venmo users are getting harassed with fraudulent payment requests Today 10:38 AM
- Twitter pledges to verify politicians in national primaries Today 9:34 AM
There’s no better time to plop on a couch with a big bowl of Frankenberry and watch horror movies online until your eyes bleed.
We’ve compiled the best movie streaming sites of 2019 where you can tune in all season long to get your fright on. Plus, you’ll get a peek at the horror movies available to stream and how much each service costs per month. You can even apply for a free trial where applicable.
How to watch horror movies online
What’s included in the plan: Shudder is a streaming service for horror, suspense, thriller, and avant-garde fans of all stripes. According to Shudder, it’s got the “largest and fastest growing selection of exclusive new releases and genre-defining classics – handpicked and updated weekly.” All content is ad-free. Shudder also offers collections including The Master of Suspense, which includes the works of Alfred Hitchcock and Get Rad, which includes movies made with practical effects. Shudder also invites celebrities to curate their own favorite collections, including Kumail Nanjiani, Larry Fessenden, and Rob Zombie. There’s also a handful of Shudder original productions including Terrified, A Discovery of Witches, and Satan’s Slaves. It’s one of the best one-stop shops to watch horror movies online.
Recommended horror movies on Shudder: Hell House LLC, Black Death, Splinter, The Beyond, I Saw the Devil, The Exorcist III, The Sacrament, 31. Check out more Shudder movie recommendations here.
Cost per month: Plans for Shudder start at $3.99 a month if you decide to pay for a year all at once. If you’d prefer to pay month to month, it’s $4.99 a month. You can also subscribe through Amazon Prime channels.
Free trial: Yes. You can try Shudder for seven days free before subscribing.
What’s included in the plan: Netflix is perhaps the most ubiquitous streaming service and offers unlimited HD streaming on up to four devices depending on which plan you decide to get. Aside from a place to get your fix of fright, there’s also exclusive shows like Orange Is the New Black, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, and the upcoming final season of House of Cards. And of course, there is the classic horror love letter Stranger Things.
Recommended horror movies on Netflix: The Babadook, Hush, The Ravenous, 1922, The Conjuring, Cabin Fever, Stephen King’s Children of the Corn.
Cost per month: The most basic plan is $7.99 and streams on one TV at a time. If there’s more than one horror movie fan in the house, you can upgrade to two screens for $10.99, or four for $13.99.
Free trial? Yes. Your first month is free.
- Netflix original horror: The best scary movies to watch
- The 20 best true crime documentaries on Netflix
- The scariest Halloween movies on Netflix in 2018
What’s included in the plan: Hulu’s streaming library is packed with over 43,000 episodes of television across channels like TBS, Food TV, History Channel, and Comedy Central. This includes spooky network and cable hits including American Horror Story and The Walking Dead. You also get to watch Hulu originals, including Castle Rock, Harlots, The Handmaid’s Tale, and The Path. And, of course, Hulu’s dedicated movie library is chock full of spooky flicks.
Recommended horror movies on Hulu: Hellraiser, Carrie, Let the Right One In, The Blair Witch Project, Paranormal Activity, REC 2. Check out more Halloween movies on Hulu here.
Cost per month: The baseline Hulu with Limited Commercials plan is normally $7.99 a month. When you sign up for a free trial, not only do you get a month free, but your monthly bill will clock in at only $5.99 a month for a year. If you want to do away with commercials altogether, it’s $11.99 a month.
Free Trial: Yes. Both Hulu with Limited Commercials and Hulu No Commercials are available for free for a month.
What’s included in the plan: Amazon’s streaming service, Prime Video, is included with all Amazon Prime Subscriptions. If you’re already enjoying two-day shipping on the regular, you can start using Prime Video right away. Like many streaming services, the Prime Video library is filled with plenty of original series, including the Nazi dystopia The Man in the High Castle, dark murder mystery Mad Dogs, and the sci-fi thriller Philip K. Dick’s Electric Dreams. You also get access to Halloween-y hit TV shows and movies including True Blood, Lore, The Witching Season, Spawn, and The Cell.
Recommended horror movies on Amazon: The Girl with All the Gifts, Them, Nosferatu, Society, Texas Chainsaw Massacre II, Green Room, Zodiac. Check out these serial killer movies on Amazon Prime.
Cost per month: Access to Prime Video requires an Amazon Prime subscription, which costs $12.99 a month. If you’re in college, you can get Prime Student, which is available for $6.49 a month, after enjoying six complementary months.
What’s included in the plan: HBO’s streaming service includes every production from the channel’s 45-year history, and you can watch it all without a dedicated cable subscription. That includes everything from Fraggle Rock to Inside the NFL, John Adams to Def Comedy Jam. Naturally, you can also watch modern hits like sci-fi rollercoaster Westworld, fantasy action-drama Game of Thrones, and hilarious political satires including Veep and Last Week Tonight. In addition to HBO’s massive library, there’s also an ever-changing collection of classic and modern film hits to watch anytime, anywhere. You can even stream shows live when they air for everyone else.
Recommended horror movies on HBO: A Cure for Wellness, Drag Me to Hell, Jennifer’s Body, The Omen, It (2017), Identity, Game Night, The Descent, Silence of the Lambs. Check out the best movies on more HBO.
Cost per month: HBO Now is $14.99 a month. While you can get it as a standalone subscription, there are three ways to get it through your existing streaming services.
- HBO Now on Amazon Prime: After subscribing to Amazon Prime, click here. Click the HBO logo just above the search list. From there, you can add the app to your Prime library.
- HBO on Hulu: After subscribing to Hulu, go to “Manage your subscription” in your account. Scroll down to premium add-ons, and add it to your account.
- HBO Now on Roku: Get a Roku. There’s a handful available with a myriad of features, but you can get one for as little as $30. Then, you can sign up to HBO Now, download its channel through your Roku device, and stream your spooky stuff from there.
Free Trial? Yes. Whether you sign up to HBO through Amazon, Hulu, or Roku, you can enjoy seven days free.
What’s included in this plan: Starz‘s streaming service gives you full access to its library of movies, original programming, and even documentaries. This includes series like Outlander, Party Down, and American Gods. And because it’s a cable movie channel, there’s plenty of hit films available such as Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, Spider-Man Homecoming, and Up.
Recommended horror movies on Starz: Child’s Play 2, Scream, The Hills Have Eyes 2, Prey, Stigmata, Quarantine, Rosemary’s Baby, Saw series, The Thing, They Live. Check out more Starz movies here.
Cost per month: Starz Direct is available for $8.99 a month. It’s available as a standalone service but works in conjunction with your existing streaming channels.
- Starz on Amazon Prime: After subscribing to Amazon Prime, click here. Click the yellow bar that says “Watch with Starz start your 7-day free trial here.” From there, you can access Starz shows and movies from your Prime Video library.
- Starz on Roku: Get a Roku. Then, you can sign up to Starz on its website. You can then download the Starz app straight to your Roku device and stream immediately.
Free Trial? Yes. Starz Direct is available free for seven days.
The Daily Dot may receive a payment in connection with purchases of products or services featured in this article. Click here to learn more.
Jaime Carillo is a writer for Pure Nintendo and a plucky YouTube cook. He specializes in writing about console gaming and kitchen gadgets. It comes naturally, considering he's either wielding a massive cleaver or Switch Pro controller at any given point. When he's not cruising through a drive-thru at 2am, he's baking shokupan or whipping up a big pot of Japanese curry. He enjoys retro gaming, geopolitics, and Vic Berger videos.