- Chelsea Handler tackles system racism in ‘Hello Privilege. It’s Me, Chelsea’ 2 Years Ago
- Gun control proposal: Trump, lawmakers considering background check-conducting app 2 Years Ago
- How to stream Browns vs. Jets on Monday Night Football Today 7:00 AM
- What are anons? Today 6:30 AM
- How to stream Eagles vs. Falcons on Sunday Night Football Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 4 Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream WWE’s Clash of Champions 2019 Saturday 8:00 PM
- How ‘F*ck off Scotland’ became a Scottish rallying cry amid Brexit madness Saturday 6:28 PM
- A Missouri officer resigned after his Islamophobic Facebook posts surfaced Saturday 5:08 PM
- Adding ‘Triggered’ to stock photos of white men creates Netflix comedy special thumbnails Saturday 3:10 PM
- New restaurant in New York has a seriously unfortunate name: ‘Qanoon’ Saturday 1:38 PM
- These are the 10 best ‘Star Wars’ ships Saturday 12:41 PM
- Google Maps helped solve a decades-old missing persons case Saturday 12:27 PM
- Teen who plotted deadly swatting prank over Call of Duty argument gets prison time Saturday 11:58 AM
- RIP to the real star of ‘Stranger Things’: Steve Harrington’s mullet Saturday 11:04 AM
The plight of adolescence – particularly female adolescence – is often seen as one of the lowest forms of emotional expression in the media. Some feel like this is a form of sexism and ageism and will argue that the genre of YA (especially when feminized) is held to a different standard.
The YA genre plays an essential role in helping sort out the thoughts and feelings of teenagers, young adults, and anyone who will allow it. So if you enjoyed Netflix’s 13 Reasons Why, don’t let anyone pressure you into calling it a guilty pleasure. Check out some of the best YA novels on the market right now below, and go from inconspicuously crying into your laptop to inconspicuously crying into your book/Kindle.
Find out for yourself if the book is better than the small screen adaptation.
Price on Amazon: $5.43+
Everything, Everything tells the story of a young woman who is trapped in her home because of a rare disease. But when she meets a boy, he gives her the courage and the desire to live the life she wants. The bestseller has also been made into a film, which you can see in theaters this May.
Price on Amazon: $7.32+
Starr Carter lives in a poor neighborhood, but goes to a rich, suburban prep school. Any sort of balance she had ceased to exist after she witnessed an unarmed friend shot at the hands of a police officer.
Price on Amazon: $9.99+
Growing up on the Spokane Indian Reservation, Junior leaves his troubled school for an all-white farm school with hopes of a bright future. Based on Alexie’s own experiences, this is the story of a Native American teenager who sees something more for himself than life on the reservation.
Price on Amazon: $9.11+
Brought together by a failed suicide attempt, Finch and Violet eventually save each other. Soon enough, they give each other a renewed sense of meaning … but can it last?
Price on Amazon: $5.20+
MORE BAZAAR DEALS:
- Here’s how to dive into the rose gold beauty trend
- The Voting Game takes on the personality of the people you play it with
- Dive into a juicy new novel thanks to Amazon’s book sale
The Daily Dot may receive a payment in connection with purchases of products or services featured in this article. Click here to learn more.
Amanda Booth is an ecommerce specialist who focuses on Etsy and Amazon deals. Her work has also been published by VH1. She joined IBM as a content designer in January 2018.