- Billie Eilish fans riot after being referred to as ‘Avocados’ 3 Years Ago
- Beyhive coming for Sainsbury’s supermarket over Ivy Park shade Today 3:17 PM
- Antique store blasted for selling ‘white only’ signs Today 1:45 PM
- DaBaby explains altercation with hotel employee after video goes viral Today 12:32 PM
- Kanye faces backlash for headlining Christian event with anti-LGBTQ leaders Today 10:31 AM
- Why is Yennefer of Vengerberg so different in Netflix’s ‘The Witcher’? Today 10:00 AM
- Actress slammed for ‘acid attack-face’ TikTok challenge Today 9:46 AM
- ‘Weathering With You’ blends fantasy and realism in a magical love story Saturday 6:18 PM
- Kidnapped teen used Snapchat to get rescued Saturday 4:35 PM
- What fans do and don’t want to see in future ‘Far Cry’ installments Saturday 4:26 PM
- Aaron Carter accused of stealing lion art for merch Saturday 3:10 PM
- Instagram’s hidden like counts were inspired by a ‘Black Mirror’ episode Saturday 2:06 PM
- Student says they were expelled for tricking teacher into making inappropriate TikTok Saturday 12:26 PM
- Space Force uniforms relentlessly mocked, memed Saturday 10:52 AM
- Man flamed after admitting he called police on Target employee over a toothbrush Saturday 9:10 AM
Moonlight won the coveted spot for Best Picture Sunday evening at the 89th Academy Awards, still shining bright even though a flub made it look as if it had lost to La La Land. If you haven’t seen the film already, we cannot stress enough what a worthy watch it is.
The plot centers around Chiron, a young black man growing up in Miami struggling with an addict mother as well as his own identity. As the film leads us through different periods of Chiron’s life, we see what living in a marginalized community is like, coping with bullying, and dealing with being gay.
Not to be missed, the film addresses territory that filmmakers don’t go into often enough. It’s sometimes a hard watch, but a necessary one for those wanting to understand what a life so different from their own is truly like.
MORE BAZAAR DEALS:
- These handsome utilitarian watches are $150 off right now
- Gamers should get the Razer collector’s mouse while it’s 40 percent off
- This deceptively slim wallet fits all your pocket essentials
The Daily Dot may receive a payment in connection with purchases of products or services featured in this article. Click here to learn more.
Colette Bennett is a writer/editor who specializes in web culture, skincare, and all things geek. Her work has appeared on CNN, HLN, Engadget, Kotaku, Colourlovers, and Continue Magazine. She also writes horror and sci-fi fiction for Corona Books and is at work on her second novel.