- Why is Instagram still hosting ‘Black Lives Don’t Matter’ accounts? 1 Year Ago
- Amanda Holden’s bad coronavirus advice sheds light on the struggle of being immunocompromised Friday 9:03 PM
- The World Health Organization is now fighting coronavirus misinformation on TikTok Friday 8:43 PM
- Police are using coronavirus misinformation to trick people into turning in drugs Friday 8:11 PM
- People can’t stop touching their faces–and the CDC really wants them to Friday 7:31 PM
- A TikTok of a girl getting an abortion is going viral—and the internet is divided Friday 3:06 PM
- FCC proposes $200 million fine for T-Mobile, others over data sharing Friday 3:03 PM
- Which ‘Love is Blind’ couples are still together? Friday 2:01 PM
- Review: ‘The Invisible Man’ reboot is thrilling but basic Friday 1:25 PM
- Sex workers speak out after OnlyFans leak Friday 1:21 PM
- Normani addresses Camila Cabello’s racist social media posts Friday 1:07 PM
- Mike Huckabee’s defense of Trump’s coronavirus response will make you nauseous Friday 12:06 PM
- Gmail’s email filtering may affect what candidate emails you are seeing Friday 11:08 AM
- Woman shares aftermath of domestic abuse: ‘This is only to raise awareness’ Friday 10:40 AM
- Skai Jackson gets restraining order against Bhad Bhabie after death threat Friday 10:19 AM
Sifting through hundreds of indie makeup brands to find your new go-to lip butter or sheet mask doesn’t sound like much fun. But having Amazon do it for you? Now that’s something anyone can get on board with (and now you can)!
Over the summer, Amazon secretly launched the Indie Beauty Shop, a subsection dedicated to skincare, organic makeup, and other natural skincare products from indie beauty brands. There’s a chance you’ll come across a name you know (like NO B.S.), but you’re more likely to be introduced to something great before it has the chance to go viral.
Worried about a lack of cruelty-free makeup? Don’t be. The Indie Beauty Shop not only satisfies that requirement but also offers a huge selection of vegan makeup options, too. And as an Amazon Prime member, you’ll have your order shipped to you in just two days (which is way better than getting lost in the hectic fluorescent abyss that is Sephora).
We’ve compiled a list of recommendations for the best indie makeup brands on Amazon so you don’t stir up a stress pimple over skincare.
The best indie makeup brands on Amazon
Bésame Cosmetics takes all the best parts of vintage makeup and makes it even better with its line of buildable mascaras, super moisturizing lipsticks, versatile lip and cheek color pots, and brushes. Founded by artist and historian, Gabriela Hernandez, this line of vintage makeup products perfectly balances nuance with historical accuracy. It brings buyers high-quality, long-lasting products available in a line of colors that were popular during the 1920s through the ’50s. And all of Bésame’s products come packed in gorgeous and romantic vintage-style applicators that’ll make you fall in love with makeup all over again.
Our faves: Vintage Lipstick in 1922 Blood Red
UNDONE BEAUTY is one of the must-know indie makeup brands because it strives to undo everything you know (or think you know) about quality makeup. Like that good makeup has to be expensive, loaded with (sometimes harsh) chemicals, and be difficult to use. UNDONE BEAUTY hosts lines of luxurious eyeshadows, lip colors, bronzers, blushes, and powders that are all user-friendly, versatile, cruelty-free, and affordable.
Our faves: 3-in-1 Lip + Cheek Creme
3) C’est Moi
Aimed at the younger generation, C’est Moi cosmetics is an indie beauty brand that creates products that are gentle on the skin. The founders of C’est Moi believe if girls want to wear makeup, they should be able to without worrying about clogging their pores or irritating their skin. Which is why the company developed all sorts of personal care products, from acne treatments to lip crayons.
Our faves: Gentle Mineral Sunscreen Lotion SPF 30
Created by two directors, Superface is one of the indie beauty brands that aims to bring Hollywood-quality makeup to the average human. The products are designed to work with your skin, enhancing the colors that are already there (rather than caking more on). The Superface line features everyday staples with a modern, Korean beauty-inspired twist–like SPF 50+ PA+++ foundation.
Our faves: Superface Zoom Mesh Cushion Foundation
- Renzoe Box makes your cluttered makeup bag obsolete
- Vitamin C serums: How they work and why you and need one
- Amazon just stocked Rihanna’s Savage x Fenty lingerie collection
I actually had a tube of Chella skincare’s eyebrow cream sent to me in my monthly makeup subscription without knowing how good it was, let alone its super heartwarming backstory. Chella’s founder, Chris Kolodziejski (some of you make recognize his name from football) started the line “in support of all beauty.” And as odd as a former pro athlete turned skincare/natural makeup activist may sound, if you ask us, it only makes sense. How else do you expect to get smudge-free brows while you dash towards the goal?! But that’s not all you can expect from this indie makeup brand: the line also features highlighters, eyebrow brushes, eyelash curlers, and lipsticks.
Our faves: Eyebrow Highlighter
6) 100% Pure
When it comes to natural cosmetics, 100% Pure leads the way with a huge line of skincare and beauty products. We’re talking lip & cheek tints, BB creams, vitamin treatments, eye masks, lipsticks, anti-aging serums, and pretty much anything else you could want. All of which don’t contain any parabens, fillers, or synthetic fragrances – making this a top pick for people with sensitive skin!
7) PONY EFFECT
South Korean self-taught makeup artist Pony started a line of long-lasting and vibrant makeup products equally as sensational as herself. The collection features everything from bold lipsticks and metallic palettes, to softer colors, nudes, brow creams, eyelashes, and foundations. This indie beauty brand is perfect for fans of the Korean makeup seen in K-dramas!
Our faves: Metallic Matte Lip Color in Rose Gold
As the name suggests, ATOMIC MAKEUP delivers bright, bold, cosmetics. But that’s not all. The indie makeup brand is also extremely affordable, with its entire line priced under $15. Plus, it’s vegan – even the glitter jelly!!
Our faves: Pink Body Glitter
Focused on catering to undertones, Sahi creates products that compliment people with tan, olive, medium, and dark skin tones. The brand features a wide variety of products including waterproof lipsticks, finishing powder, contour palettes, primers, foil eyeshadows more pigmented than any MAC shade that I’ve ever tried, and more. Additionally, every product featured in the Sahi Cosmetics collection is cruelty-free.
Our faves: The Diamond Treatment Lip Balm
10) Maple Holistics
Maple Holistics is dedicated to incorporating holistic beauty into your everyday wellness ritual. Which is why the company only uses simple, naturally sourced ingredients in its products. Additionally, all of the hair and body care, as well as the essential oils, are paraben and cruelty-free–so you can feel good about feeling good!
Our faves: Sage Shampoo for Dry Scalp
MORE BAZAAR DEALS:
- How to do the Korean Beauty 10-step skincare routine
- 7 anti-aging creams that won’t put you in debt
- Get rid of your sun damage with this magical skincare serum
The Daily Dot may receive a payment in connection with purchases of products or services featured in this article. Click here to learn more.
Marisa Losciale specializes in NSFW culture, audio gear, and photography. A former editorial and photo director for Spoon University at SUNY New Paltz, her work has been featured in the Rockwell Center for American Visual Studies, Post-Trash, the New Paltz Oracle, and the Legislative Gazette.