- Boys’ sleepovers vs. girls’ sleepovers meme takes stereotypes to absurd heights Tuesday 7:30 PM
- Petition wants Keanu Reeves to be named ‘Time Person of the Year’ Tuesday 6:33 PM
- 8 women accuse Max Landis of sexual, emotional abuse Tuesday 5:37 PM
- Taylor Swift accused of copying Beyoncé—again Tuesday 5:00 PM
- Everything you need to know about Libra, Facebook’s new cryptocurrency Tuesday 4:45 PM
- Netflix just renewed ‘Queer Eye’ for 2 more seasons Tuesday 4:32 PM
- YouTube’s queen of failed robots just unveiled a one-of-a-kind Tesla truck Tuesday 3:58 PM
- AOC infuriates conservatives with ‘concentration camps’ remark Tuesday 3:33 PM
- TikTok users explore identity with Lin Manuel Miranda-inspired meme Tuesday 3:24 PM
- TikTok apology video inspires new duet meme Tuesday 2:51 PM
- Man sues brewery after identifying as female to get beer discount Tuesday 2:31 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Hulu in July 2019 Tuesday 2:22 PM
- This biotech company’s logo is almost straight out of Resident Evil Tuesday 1:26 PM
- Trump says mass deportations to start next week Tuesday 12:28 PM
- GOP pollster bothered by broken elevator in Austria blames socialism Tuesday 10:50 AM
How much is Hulu? The cost of every plan and add-on explained
You have more options than you realize.
There’s good news and bad news: The cost of Hulu’s on-demand service just got cheaper, but Hulu with Live TV is now a little more expensive.
Whether you’re itching to see what the Handmaid’s Tale hype is about or looking for a seamless way to watch Sunday Night Football games, Hulu is a great addition to your streaming collection. But how much is Hulu, and is it worth it? That depends on which version of Hulu you select and what add-ons you opt for. Here’s everything you need to know about the popular streaming service.
The pricing below goes into effect Feb. 26 for new subscribers. Those who already have Hulu will see the new rates in their first billing cycle after Feb. 26.
How much is Hulu?
Hulu packages go for as little as $5.99 to $44.99 a month. There are three different packages: Hulu with Limited Commercials, Hulu with No Commercials, and Hulu with Live TV. Each option is available to try risk-free before you commit to a monthly subscription. Each package has a variety of optional add-ons and freebies, and we’ll touch on those in each Hulu package below.
Hulu pricing breakdown:
- Hulu with Limited Commercials: $5.99 per month (limited time offer)
- Hulu with No Commercials: $11.99 per month
- Hulu with Live TV (+ Hulu with Limited Commercials): $44.99 per month
- Hulu with Live TV (+ Hulu with No Commercials): $51.99 per month
Hulu with Limited Commercials
What used to be known as Hulu Plus is now simply Hulu with Limited Commercials. This is the baseline Hulu plan, available for $5.99 a month. That’s $2 less than what it used to cost, making it easier than ever to started with the service.
This package gives you access to the Hulu streaming library, which is packed with over 85,000 episodes of television across channels like AMC, TBS, and Comedy Central. This includes network and cable hits including Will & Grace, The Good Place, This Is Us, and even Attack on Titan. You also get to watch shows that are exclusive to Hulu including Castle Rock, Harlots, The Handmaid’s Tale, and I Love You America with Sarah Silverman.
- The best thrillers on Hulu
- Funny movies on Hulu when you need a good laugh
- 10 sad movies on Hulu guaranteed to make you cry
- The best classic movies on Hulu
- Watch ‘Monday Night Football’ anywhere with Hulu with Live TV
Like standard television, you still have to sit through commercials with this option, but the amount of commercials varies depending on the program. Sometimes you’ll get lucky and skip commercials entirely. Other times, you’ll sit through a two-minute block. If you want to do away with ads altogether, you can upgrade to Hulu with No Commercials for $4 more per month (more on that in just a moment).
Hulu with No Commercials
How much is Hulu without all those annoying commercials? For $11.99 a month, you can do away with ads altogether (except for a select few shows, which we’ll explain in a minute). That means you can stream full seasons of exclusive series like Seinfeld, new episodes of popular hits, Hulu originals, and even movies, all without having to sit through a single ad. This package includes everything mentioned in the Hulu with Limited Commercials package, except … you know, no commercials.
There is one catch. If you’re streaming Grey’s Anatomy, Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., New Girl, and How To Get Away With Murder, you’ll still have to sit through at least one commercial due to complicated streaming rights. But the rest of the Hulu library is free of all ads. You can try a whole month of Hulu with No Commercials free before committing to the $11.99 monthly expense.
You can connect as many devices as you want to your Hulu account, but you can only stream from one at a time. Whether you get Hulu with Limited Commercials or Hulu with No Commercials, here are the devices you can use:
- Android phones and tablets
- Android TV
- Apple TV (4th generation or later)
- Google Chromecast
- Echo Show (1st and 2nd generation)
- Fire Tablets
- Fire TV and Amazon Fire Stick
- Hulu.com using a Mac or PC browser
- iPhones and iPads
- LG TV (select models)
- Nintendo Switch
- PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4
- Roku and Roku Stick
- Samsung TVs and Blu-ray Players
- Sony TVs and Blu-ray Players
- VIZIO TVs and Blu-ray Players
- Wii U
- Xbox 360 and Xbox One
- Xbox One
How much is Hulu with Live TV?
Sometimes, breaking up with your cable company leaves one with sour grapes. But don’t sink back into a poisonous relationship just because you miss channel surfing. There’s a better way with Hulu with Live TV, which will cost you $44.99 a month after a free seven-day trial. This plan lets you stream on up to two devices at the same time.
With this Hulu package, you can stream live TV from 50-plus channels on all the aforementioned smart devices. Channel surf like old times from your couch with a remote, or on your smart devices with a wave or two of your fingers or a click of an Alexa or Roku remote. The channels included in this package depend on the availability in your area. (Here’s the complete list of Hulu Live TV channels.)
Why try Hulu with Live TV?
1) All your favorite sports and news in one place
Are you a news junkie? Instead of rooting through social media for the real deal, the news channels in this Hulu package will keep you in the loop. Stream the news as it’s happening on CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, HLN, and CNN International. For hustlers, entrepreneurs, and all money-savvy folks, you can gaze lovingly at the stock tickers on both Fox Business and CNBC. In some areas, you can even gain access to your local news stations.
Likewise, Hulu packages go hard when it comes to every manner of sports. Stream live games from both college and pro leagues including the NCAA, NBA, NHL, NFL, and more.
2) Get access to Hulu with Limited Commercials totally free
Every Hulu with Live TV plan automatically comes with a Hulu with Limited Commercials plan. That means when you’re not watching Live TV, you can catch shows from Hulu’s massive library whenever you like. For an additional $4, you can upgrade your complimentary plan into a Hulu with No Commercials account, which will run you a total of $51.99 a month.
3) Record live TV with 50 hours of DVR Cloud storage
Is there a show or event you’ll have to miss? No worries; you can set it to record. Each Hulu with Live TV plan comes with 50 hours of DVR cloud storage. How much is Hulu if you want to stockpile even more shows? Bump up your DVR storage to 200 hours for an additional $14.99 per month. Alternatively, for an additional $14.99 a month—or $20 total per month when combined with the DVR storage—you and your family will be able to watch on as many screens as you want at home, and on up to three mobile devices when you’re out and about.
How can I stream premium channels on Hulu?
If you’re looking for prestige shows that only premium cable channels provide, you can add a subscription to channels like HBO, Cinemax, and Showtime any time. How much is Hulu with these premium add-ons?
- HBO is an additional $14.99 per month
- Showtime is an additional $10.99 per month
- Cinemax is an additional $9.99 per month
However, like Hulu itself, HBO, Showtime, and Cinemax come with one week free trials before you commit to purchasing these add-ons on top of your Hulu subscription.
Hulu cost per month: Is it worth it?
Unlike regular cable services, there are no fussy contracts to sign. If for any reason you want to cancel your subscription, you can do so without calling your cable company and bracing for an uncomfortable “it’s not you, it’s me” situation. And that’s if your cable company lets you out of its contract.
Plus, and perhaps most importantly, Hulu packages are available free, at least for a while, so you can dip your toes into them and see if they’re right for you. Most cable packages don’t give you that option without signing some sort of contract. How much is Hulu at its most affordable? The Hulu with Limited Commercials subscription costs just $5.99 a month after you enjoy a month totally free. That’s a deal that’s too hard to pass up.
The Daily Dot may receive a payment in connection with purchases of products or services featured in this article. Click here to learn more.
Jaime Carillo is a writer for Pure Nintendo and a plucky YouTube cook. He specializes in writing about console gaming and kitchen gadgets. It comes naturally, considering he's either wielding a massive cleaver or Switch Pro controller at any given point. When he's not cruising through a drive-thru at 2am, he's baking shokupan or whipping up a big pot of Japanese curry. He enjoys retro gaming, geopolitics, and Vic Berger videos.