- Meme video of Trump shooting politicians sparks outrage Today 8:53 AM
- Virtual Reality: Sex, marriage, and the future of relationships Today 7:00 AM
- Swipe This! My boyfriend is addicted to porn. Should I leave him? Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream Packers vs. Lions on Monday Night Football Sunday 7:15 PM
- College students burned author’s books after she spoke about white privilege Sunday 6:28 PM
- Texas police officer fatally shoots Black woman in her own home Sunday 3:44 PM
- Milo Yiannopoulos’ website dangerous.com was sold Sunday 1:42 PM
- First YouTube comment to hit 1 million likes is on Billie Eilish’s ‘bad guy’ music video Sunday 12:36 PM
- Girl says she was fired over exposing how Panera makes its mac and cheese on TikTok Sunday 11:34 AM
- David Harbour teased fans about Hopper’s ‘Stranger Things’ fate on ‘SNL’ Sunday 10:24 AM
- Kacey Musgraves accused of cultural appropriation–and botching it Sunday 9:19 AM
- Rihanna defends Vogue writer who received backlash for ‘winging’ interview Sunday 8:36 AM
- Here are the best PC games to add to your list Sunday 8:20 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 8 Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Chargers on Sunday Night Football Saturday 7:20 PM
So watching Stranger Things made you want to try Dungeons & Dragons, but you don’t know where to start? Here’s everything you need for your first tabletop adventure.
No one can blame you for wanting to dive into a nerdy tabletop phenomenon–it’s been around for 40 years! If Gary Gygax’s role-playing game can charm the likes of Vin Diesel and Judy Dench, it can charm anyone. Here are all the essentials to ensure your first foray into the dungeon’s many twists and turns is a successful one.
Must-have Dungeons & Dragons gear
This tome is truly essential for new players. Use it to create your characters from the iconic Dungeons & Dragons races and classes. Learn everything about exploration and combat, equipment, spells, and much more.
Price: $32.69 (regularly $49.95)
No offense to the dragons, but the dungeons are the truly essential part of the game. This mat is the playing field where you and your buddies will hunt down treasure, gain experience, and fight every manner of beast. Not only does it fold to store easily, but it wipes clean after you’re done scribbling all over it.
Every game is set up by an all-knowing Dungeon Master. This guide teaches you the ins and outs of world building for crafting a memorable dungeon. Learn how to work in the best Dungeons & Dragons items, treasures, and traps to confound and confuse all dare to who enter your hellscape.
Price: $28.49 (regularly $49.95)
Sure, you can sculpt and paint your own cleric, ranger, and wizard. But since it’s your first time playing, use one of these figures instead. They’re ready to use right out of the box so you can start your adventure as soon as possible.
Price: $16.79 (regularly $19.99)
Dice are integral to venturing the dungeons. It’s a game where skill and chance collide, after all. This set has enough for five players. Each dice sparkles as it rolls. There’s even a velvet-lined Cup of Wonder to roll them in style. Naturally, there’s a monstrous treasure box to store them in.
Price: $12.99 (regularly $14.99)
As a Dungeon Master, you are responsible for the many terrors and travails your players endure. This screen helps you keep all your secrets under wraps. Take notes directly on the vinyl or the companion reference sheets. Available in four colors to match any aesthetic.
Adventures are fun but can be a real doozy on your back. Plop this baby in any chair and stay cozy and comfortable for hours. Plus, it’s available in three bright colors so you can tell everyone you made it out of salvaged goblin flesh.
8) Travel case
The coolest part of Dungeons & Dragons is you can play it anywhere. If you can’t get players to come to you, take the dungeon to them! This bag fits all your game pieces and supplies. Even if you don’t plan on schlepping, you can use it as a handy piece of storage when you’re not adventuring.
Sure, you can feasibly finish a game in about 30 minutes. But the great games go on for hours, sometimes days. Stay hydrated and full of pep with these refreshing Jolt Cola tall boys. They’ve got extra caffeine to help you power through those last rolls.
MORE BAZAAR DEALS:
- Magic: The Gathering: A definitive guide to MtG for beginners
- 10 fashionable ‘Sailor Moon’ options for chic scouts
- 7 lucky items to ensure you brave the storm against your enemies in ‘Fortnite’
The Daily Dot may receive a payment in connection with purchases of products or services featured in this article. Click here to learn more.
Jaime Carillo is a writer for Pure Nintendo and a plucky YouTube cook. He specializes in writing about console gaming and kitchen gadgets. It comes naturally, considering he's either wielding a massive cleaver or Switch Pro controller at any given point. When he's not cruising through a drive-thru at 2am, he's baking shokupan or whipping up a big pot of Japanese curry. He enjoys retro gaming, geopolitics, and Vic Berger videos.