- Skillshare is offering new users one month of premium for free 8 Months Ago
- Report: Facebook is punishing Black people for talking about racism 8 Months Ago
- Biden brings tepid language to the healthcare debate Today 9:52 AM
- TikTok’s ‘chin on palm’ challenge has people scratching their heads Today 9:01 AM
- How to stream the 2019 NFL Draft for free Today 9:00 AM
- How to watch every movie in the MCU before ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Today 8:00 AM
- Review: The apocalypse has never been more aimless than in Days Gone Today 7:00 AM
- ‘Boston bomber voting’ discourse is America at its dumbest Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch ‘Top Gear’ for free Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch Real Madrid vs. Getafe online for free Today 6:00 AM
- How safe is the ‘safest’ place in Winterfell? Today 5:00 AM
- Gynecologist explains why garlic shouldn’t go in vaginas Wednesday 7:08 PM
- People on Twitter are posting the 5 weirdest jobs they’ve had for this meme Wednesday 6:48 PM
- Mortal Kombat 11’s Jax ends slavery—and gamers are pissed Wednesday 5:46 PM
- GPS app gave hacker ability to remotely shut off car engines Wednesday 3:58 PM
This is everything you need to know about the different types of lube
Careful! It’s a slippery slope.
Searching for the best lube could have you testing out an entire paycheck’s worth of products. But that extra cash is better saved for something more fun like a new rabbit vibe or a sexy necessity like toy cleaner and condoms. Which is what inspired us to pen this great ol’ guide to lube – well, that, and the fact that too many of you are using the wrong lube.
So how do you know which is the best lube for you? The answer lies beneath!
The different types of lube
Before you can find the best lube for your needs, you’ll need to know your options. And like their names suggest, what differentiates each type of lube is its base. There are four types:
- Hybrid (a combination of the above)
And just like some vibrators are designed with higher-quality materials than others, the same can be said for lube. Some contain chemicals that can wreak havoc on a vagina’s pH, cause irritation, inflammation and even lead to yeast infections. These ingredients being:
- propylene glycol
- chlorhexidine gluconate
Using products made with these components won’t kill you; however, it can lead to A LOT of discomfort. So if have sensitive skin it’s best you avoid these.
It’s also important to note that there really is no specific lube for different types of sex (anal vs. vaginal), it’s all about what feels best to you and, of course, if any toys are involved. And if you don’t know what I mean, don’t fret – by the time you’re done reading this, it’ll all be crystal clear (kinda like lube itself).
If you’ve got a big toy box, water-based lubes are your friend. They’re completely safe to use with condoms and on all your beloved trinkets – including the silicone ones (YAAAAAASSSSSSSSS!!) and they won’t stain your sheets either. The only downside is they tend to dry up faster than other lubes, so make sure you stock up!
Toy-friendly ✓ Condom-friendly ✓
Have you been avoiding lube because of your super sensitive skin? If so, you don’t have to. Just grab something silicone-based (since it’s hypoallergenic) and you’ll be good as gold. Silicone lubes also tend to be thicker since they usually contain one or more of these ingredients: Dimethicone, Dimethiconol, and Cyclomethicone. So not only are they silkier than natural and water-based lubes, but they last longer, too.
If you don’t want to have to stop what you’re doing just to reapply lube, you should consider one that doesn’t break down as easy. Meet your match: oil-based lubricant. You’ll only need to apply this once and you’ll be good to go for as long as you’d like.
Why we love lube
Solo or shared with a partner, lube is guaranteed to make the experience so much more delightful. And no, you don’t need to be suffering from vaginal dryness to soak in all its sexy benefits. Don’t believe me? Well, how about the 70% of nearly 3,000 women who were surveyed by Indiana University who all agree that using lube leads to better sex. After all, the wetter the better!
MORE BAZAAR DEALS:
- How to get the best G-spot orgasms
- 10 couple toys that will make your sex life explosive
- This is how you should be cleaning your sex toys
The Daily Dot may receive a payment in connection with purchases of products or services featured in this article. Click here to learn more.
Marisa Losciale specializes in NSFW culture, audio gear, and photography. A former editorial and photo director for Spoon University at SUNY New Paltz, her work has been featured in the Rockwell Center for American Visual Studies, Post-Trash, the New Paltz Oracle, and the Legislative Gazette.