- This woman told two students to ‘speak English’ and people are not having it Friday 9:53 PM
- Iconic 1968 drag documentary ‘The Queen’ finally released on Netflix Friday 9:29 PM
- This TikTok account for Chancellor Palpatine is hilarious Friday 8:43 PM
- Did the Space Force logo rip off Star Trek? Friday 6:24 PM
- Disabled people with service dogs say Uber, Lyft drivers are denying them rides Friday 3:25 PM
- TikTok teen famous for greasy hair ends her 8-year reign Friday 2:48 PM
- Police handcuff brown man at subway station for carrying a toy gun Friday 1:20 PM
- Fake clip of Sanders quoting infamous ‘hot chip’ tweet is duping people online Friday 1:16 PM
- The Mars Volta’s Cedric Bixler-Zavala alleges Scientologists behind dog’s death Friday 12:46 PM
- Eminem responds to critics: ‘This album was not made for the squeamish’ Friday 12:42 PM
- ‘The poet, the poem’ meme takes iconic lines and turns them into art Friday 12:40 PM
- People are making dark memes about the coronavirus Friday 12:27 PM
- Trump camp’s ‘head on a pike’ impeachment threat hit with memes Friday 11:34 AM
- What is the #FreeBritney movement, and why is Cher tweeting about it? Friday 10:52 AM
- This YouTuber claims the Saudi government plotted to kidnap him on U.S. soil Friday 10:30 AM
Online astrology chart readings are great for exploring your metaphysical makeup, but only if you’ve got one of the best astrology sites on your side. Think of it this way: you could use Google Translate (instead of a reliable translator) to interpret your thoughts into a foreign language, but in doing so, you risk reliability. The same can be said for astro-related websites–some are just better than others. So before setting out a journey of self-discovery, you’ll want to double back over this list to ensure the site you enlisted is not only authentic but accurate.
|BEST 3 VEDIC ASTROLOGY RATED BY USERS|
|Kasamba||Book a Reading|
|Psychic Source||Book a Reading|
|Hollywood Psychics||Book a Reading|
What is an online astrology chart reading?
When someone says, “what’s your sign?” they’re referring to the sun sign in your birth chart. You’d get this information through your online astrology chart reading, which is a detailed breakdown of who you are according to the sun, moon, and stars. So, unless you’re a Populist (or someone who stereotypes each sign based on nothing but a birth date), your birth chart maps out more than just one star. This is true for both Sidereal and Tropical astrology, but since that’s a lot to unpack, we’ll just stick with the basics of Western (Tropical) stuff.
The Signs and what they mean
Figuring out the names of the zodiac and their relation to each other is the simplest part of online astrology chart reading. There are four groups of signs (Fire, Earth, Air, and Water) and each have their own way of expressing energy. Every sign is also considered “ruler” of a particular planet and house. The TL;DR here is that signs are responsible for how we act and react, but how each sign is expressed relies on its position in your chart as well as the planetary aspects, presence or absence of stellium, etc. So before we go too in depth, the 12 zodiac signs are as follows:
The Planets and what they mean
Traditionally speaking, Classical astrology (the umbrella term for all Traditional Western practices) maintains a focus on seven planets (or stars). Liz Greene, an astrologer for Astro.com, does a really good job at providing in-depth descriptions of planets and their placement. Listed below you’ll find summaries of her interpretations or you can choose to read the full-length version here.
- Sun (ruled by Leo)
- Interpretation: The central aspect of your basic identity–what ties you all together. A broad basis for how you live your life.
- Moon (ruled by Cancer)
- Interpretation: Thought to be responsible for your emotional response system and subconscious behaviors.
- Mercury (ruled by Gemini and Virgo)
- Interpretation: Symbolic of your thought process, intellect, and communication skills.
- Venus (ruled by Taurus and Libra)
- Interpretation: How you express your love, creativity, and attraction.
- Mars (ruled by Aries and traditionally Scorpio)
- Interpretation: How you assert yourself or take action.
- Jupiter (ruled by Sagittarius and traditionally Pisces)
- Interpretation: Traditionally referred to as the “Planet of Good Fortune,” this social planet is thought to describe expansion, personal development, philosophy, and understanding.
- Saturn (ruled by Capricorn and traditionally Aquarius)
- Interpretation: The second social planet, Saturn symbolizes challenges or hardships that we’ll need to overcome, as well as any areas we need to concentrate on to better ourselves.
We’ve come a long way since the beginning of the 19th century, so it only makes sense that astrology would too. Today, modern astrologers take 10 planets into consideration–plus a number of asteroids, planet aspects, and other contingencies dependent upon the branch of astrology. The revised list of planets includes all seven of the previously mentioned Classical planets plus:
- Uranus (ruled by Aquarius)
- Interpretation: Deals with personal freedoms, enlightenment, and change.
- Neptune (ruled by Pisces)
- Interpretation: Illustrative of inspiration, spirituality, illusion, and transcendence.
- Pluto (ruled by Scorpio)
- Interpretation: The figure of transformation, Pluto also details themes of taboo subjects, sexuality, and healing.
In addition to planets and stars, there are also a few major asteroids that astrologers use for their predictions. The common ones being:
- Interpretation: Concerned with growth and letting go, ecology and care, often referred to as “Mother of the Living.”
- Interpretation: Relates to all things concerned with feminity and how it is expressed. Often times astrologers describe heavy Pallas symbolism as a “challenge to feminity” that must be overcome (i.e. misogynistic behaviors).
- Interpretation: Symbolic of faithfulness, marriage, and all other committed relationships.
- Interpretation: Tied to the laws of nature and ecological consciousness.
And if you really want to get into it, it’s worth noting that when it comes to astrology, centaurs play a role too. Here they’re classified not as a mystical being, but rather a “planetoid” or something that lies in between a planet and asteroid. The most well-known centaur being Chiron, who’s astrological interpretation explains the type of relationship we may have with ourselves–so think self-esteem, confidence, and security.
Additionally, planets in the same sign will be expressed differently in different people depending on their relationship with the other in the chart. Planetary relationships are also referred to as aspects and there are many of them. Green also put together a cheat sheet (which we pasted below) that explains all of the major aspects you can find in your chart.
To fully explain how each of the planets (or asteroids/stars/etc.) factor into human nature and why we are the way that we are, readers not only have to take the sign a planet is in, but its location (what House it’s in), along with any planetary aspects into consideration. So before we get into the basics of how to read an astrology chart, you’ll need to know what each of the Houses is, their meanings, and the definitions of all the signs.
The Houses and what they mean
When referring to a planet’s location, astrologers use the term “house” to encompass a given set of degree measurements. Each house is said to have its own set of responsibilities, and its qualities are expressed differently depending on what planet is positioned there (not to mention, the sign it’s in)–which is all determined by time and place of birth. Astrologer Dana Gerhardt does a fabulous job at describing each of the houses, you’ll find brief summaries of her interpretations below.
The First House (ruled by Aries)
As Gerhardt puts it, the First House is home to beginnings and first impressions–both those you make and the ones the world makes on you. It’s also in charge of your sense of identity and appearance.
The Second House (ruled by Taurus)
This is where we talk about money, material possessions, and self-worth. The Second House is responsible for supporting what’s laid out in the First House.
The Third House (ruled by Gemini)
Curiosity, communication, siblings, neighbors, short trips, hobbies, and all else relating to a sense of community are sheathed by the Third House–AKA the “House of Learning.”
The Fourth House (ruled by Cancer)
The Fourth House is where we set our roots. It rules our home, privacy, basic security, family, ancestors, and acts as a “spiritual retreat” for when times get too tough and we need to rely on instincts and TLC to get us through.
The Fifth House (ruled by Leo)
Considered the house of self-expression, risk-taking, creativity, fun, drama, love, and romance. Gerhardt refers to this area as our “Garden of Delights.”
The Sixth House (ruled by Virgo)
The Sixth House governs health and service, more specifically, our routines, lifestyle, and community service.
The Seventh House (ruled by Libra)
The Seventh House reigns over all relationships–business, personal, and romantic.
The Eighth House (ruled by Scorpio)
The Eighth House manages all the things we wouldn’t want to talk about with people we’re not bonded with–sex, death, investments, mysteries etc.
The Ninth House (ruled by Sagittarius)
International and long-distance travel, inspiration, optimism, expansion of the higher mind, divination, mysticism, spirituality, and higher education are all ruled by the Ninth House.
The Tenth House (ruled by Capricorn)
Also known as the “Midheaven” the 10th House rules your career path, how the public sees you (or how society measures your life), achievements, and discipline.
The Eleventh House (ruled by Aquarius)
This is the social network of your metaphysical makeup–it’s responsible for friendships, social justice, media, humanitarian causes, technology, and invention.
The Twelfth House (ruled by Pisces)
To wrap it all up, the 12th House is home to all endings like projects, stages of life, the afterlife, etc. It also associated with “separation from society”–think secrets, hidden agendas, jails, hospitals, and the subconscious.
How to read a birth chart
Learning how to read a birth chart isn’t easy–it takes a lot of time, dedication, and practice. This is why utilizing free online astrology readings is imperative. Most sites will provide you with both the table chart and a drawn wheel (that sort of looks like a pie chart) depicting the planets and their position at the time you were born.
Figuring out what sign the planets are in is more manageable than appointing the signs/planets to their correct house, which is why we recommend beginners start with exploring the three most important placements in a birth chart: the sun, moon, and rising sign (also known as your Ascendant or Chart Ruler). Once you know what each sign is you can then begin to decode the chart by interpreting each placement’s expression–based on the house that sign is in, any aspects (or angles) it makes with other planets, etc.
Like we said before, this isn’t simple stuff, which is why we recommend using the sites we’ve listed below. In addition to online birth chart reading, these websites also offer brief synopses detailing your most influential planetary influences so you’ll be able to start to understand your chart and the basics of astrology.
- The best apps for shooting and editing selfies
- The 20 best podcasts on Spotify
- Free live TV: The best apps for TV shows and channels
Best astrology sites for an online astrology chart reading
Founded in 1999, Kasamba has become the world’s largest site for Vedic astrology readings. Psychics create a profile advertising their services and rates, and users can rate and discuss their experience directly on-site or by using the mobile app. Kasamba psychics are available 24/7 and offer a variety of readings such as love tarot readings, personal astrology readings, and more.
Currently, Kasamba is offering new clients 50% off their first session as well as three free minutes to chat with an online psychic.
Price: $3+/min (regularly $5.99+/min)
To help you get to your Vedic astrology horoscope reading sooner, PsychicSource.com offers a “Find a Psychic” tool that matches you to a trusted psychic based on your answers to a short quiz. The readings provided by PsychicSource.com will also benefit communities in need as a portion of the proceeds from each reading supports the site’s Kindness Initiative. Some of the charities that have been sponsored in the past include the National Center for Housing and Child Welfare, Futures Without Violence, and Paws With a Cause.
As of right now, PsychicSource.com is offering new users a low rate of $1/minute (plus three free minutes) for their first session.
Price: $1/min (regularly $5.99+/min)
Although the name suggests this site is utilized by celebs and big-name Hollywood folk for Vedic astrology chart readings, we haven’t been able to verify that claim since most users choose to remain anonymous. However, customer reviews of the site indicate that HollywoodPsychics.com only employs legitimate, trusted psychics. So if you’re interested in online tarot readings, clairvoyant readings, psychic love readings, dream interpretations, or astrology readings, you’ll want to consider HollywoodPsychics.com.
Additionally, new users can take advantage of a highly discounted rate–the first three minutes are free before the rate bumps up to $1/minute.
Price: $1/min for (regularly $5/min)
Run by astrologer Susan Miller, AstrologyZone.com is one of the best astrology sites for love-related readings. Since 1995, Astrology Zone has offered users a number of free services like compatibility readings, daily and monthly horoscopes, literature for learning about astrology, and online astrology chart reading.
Price: Some services are free, others require a membership which starts at $4.99/month for an all-access plan
Astro.com is personally my favorite online astrology chart reading site. By using the AstroClick Portrait, clients can receive a free birth chart map and brief descriptions of what each placement means. The site also offers in-depth love and life readings, a breakdown of all the current transits, and over a dozen free forecasts. Astro.com also hosts a wiki and community forum which is great for those looking to teach themselves more about the practice, connect with a local astrologer, or learn how to read a birth chart.
Price: Most of the services are free
- The best way to make friends as an adult, according to an expert
- The no-jerk guide to breaking up with someone
- What exactly is intersectionality? A complete history of the term
If you’re looking for more than just an online astrology reading, Horoscope.com should be your source. The site offers users free horoscope readings, tarot, access to live psychics, and more.
Price: Most services are free except for services provided by psychics whose prices start at $1.99 for 10-minutes (not including the first 3 minutes since they’re free)
AstroTheme is also one of my personal favorites. The site is great for examining online astrology readings other than just your birth chart and hosts a full library of literature for those of you looking for easy-to-digest material. There’s also a world of information on celebrities and their charts.
Another fabulous (and free) online astrology reading site, AstroStyle is a great place for beginners. The site is neatly laid out and all the information online is presented in a manner that’s easy to understand–so if you’ve never touched astrology before now, I recommend AstroStyle.com.
If you are interested in a (free) live astrology reading, astrology.com has exactly what you’re looking for. The site offers daily horoscopes, free live tarot reading, and even lengthier readings to help you dive deeper into your birth chart and what it means.
Although Astrology-Zodiac-Signs.com hosts a variety of free readings for you to choose from, I personally like this site for all of the information available. Learn about the elements, their qualities, take a tour of the houses and planets, and much more.
With over 90 Vedic astrology reading experts to choose from, GaneshaSpeaks.com also offers users the unique opportunity to receive planetary analysis readings and purchase ritual services. That makes this site especially useful for anyone looking to cleanse negative energy from their life.
For a limited time, all 60-minute phone consultations are 10% off.
Price: $29.99 for a 30-minute session, $50 for a 60-minute session (regularly $55.55)
AstroSage is one of the best online astrology reading sites because you can access it from anywhere–even the app! Since this particular site is very much influenced by Sidereal astrology, it offers a few readings that most others don’t.
I hesitate to include this site on the list only because it has a history of not having the most accurate birth chart reports (even though they’re prettier than other sites’ charts). That said, this site is a solid source for breaking down astrology basics into a form that anyone could understand. As long as you’re not printing your natal chart from this site, CafeAstrology is a good starting point for beginners wanting to know more of the “behind the scenes” of the practice.
MORE BAZAAR DEALS:
- 12 sites for trusted psychic readings, according to the internet
- 10 user-recommended sites for live tarot readings that are almost too good to be true
- 12 Vedic astrology sites for the most accurate (and free) readings
The Daily Dot may receive a payment in connection with purchases of products or services featured in this article. Click here to learn more.
Marisa Losciale specializes in NSFW culture, audio gear, and photography. A former editorial and photo director for Spoon University at SUNY New Paltz, her work has been featured in the Rockwell Center for American Visual Studies, Post-Trash, the New Paltz Oracle, and the Legislative Gazette.