It’s Father’s Day weekend, so you’re likely spending more time with Dad than you have all year. But when you’re not around, Dad misses you. He wants to stay in touch. And he wants to understand your generation.
So he texts.
And anyone with a texting dad knows there’s nothing quite like a dad text. Mom may text in full sentences and sign each message with x’s and o’s—and she’s your go-to when you need to get out of a fight—but Dad is wily and weird. He’s gonna text when you least expect, and if he texts something that actually makes sense, you’ll have to roll your eyes and groan.
In the spirit of celebrating our year-round dads, and not just the goofball you get on Father’s Day, here are some all-time classic dad text moves.
1) The unprovoked burn
2) Should probably just download Snapchat
3) The joke you walked right into
4) May or may not be trucker code
5) When dictation to Siri goes wrong
6) Come on, Siri
7) Actually, does Siri ever work for dads?8) Still catching up on ’90s TV
9) Fashion advice
10) Minute-by-minute bathroom updates
11) Reminding you to be considerate of others
12) Knows just what you like
13) In a philosophical mood again
14) Experimenting with emoji
15) His wisdom is endless
16) Always a self-esteem booster
17) Does repeat himself sometimes
18) Don’t test him
19) Seriously, never stop using voice recognition
20) Honesty is the only policy
21) Making the most of that family data plan
22) You sure can23) Love talking to you, too, Dad
Happy Father’s Day to all you texting dads out there. Keep those thumbs strong and the jokes corny. Oh, and one more thing: 😂😂😂