With hundreds of millions of tweets per day, it’s impossible to follow everything happening on Twitter. Every Friday, the Daily Dot rounds up notable Twitter news and stories from the past week—in 140 characters or less.
- NBC and Twitter called their Olympics partnership a success.
- For what it’s worth, Katie Couric was hanging out at the Twitter office Thursday.
- After Tumblr, is social news app Flipboard next on Twitter’s hit list?
- In the light of Friday’s New York City shooting, promoted tweets for Sega showed up when searching for “disgruntled shooter” on TweetDeck.
- Filipino TV and movie personality Kris Aquino was successful in having a parodist change his or her profile photo and handle.
- The U.K. was accused of being too harsh on Twitter trolls.
- One Direction’s Zayn Malik quit Twitter but only for a couple of days.
- The Curiosity Mars Rover commemorated the firing of a laser on the Red Planet with the #PewPew, my favorite hashtag this week.
- LA Weekly uncovered what the Twitter community thinks are the best songs ever, which hilariously included “Hakuna Matata.”
- Police used Twitter to track down a Good Samaritan who aided in stopping a criminal.
- Curious where Twitter’s nice guys and aggressors live? Wonder no more.
- Here’s why removing your bot followers is a wise move.
- If you’re looking for extra class credit, sending a better tweet than your classmates may be the way to go.
- A movie producer tweeted the amazing details of a story in which an unruly passenger caused a plane to land early.
- Bow Wow’s account was hacked by someone demanding $10,000. It now seems the rapper switched his handle from @bowwow to @YMCMB_BW.
The week’s best new accounts: Please welcome actress Anne Heche, though perhaps don’t mention that Psycho remake she starred in. If Entourage is your thing, creator Doug Ellin is sharing behind-the-scenes photos and updates on the movie script.
Photo of the week: With just seven days to go before the Paralympics begins, a photo of the Paralympic Torch inside London's Royal Opera House was tweeted almost 200 times. (@london2012)