With hundreds of millions of tweets per day, it’s impossible to follow everything happening on Twitter. Every Friday, the Daily Dot rounds up notable Twitter news and stories from the past week—in 140 characters or fewer.
- The Associated Press is selling ads on its feed. Surprisingly, Twitter is OK with it.
- German Chancellor Angela Merkel has no plans to join Twitter despite more than 120 other heads of state using the service.
- There are more than 181,000 social media gurus, ninjas, masters, mavens, and wonks on Twitter. In related news, Plato's spinning in his grave.
- You are all faving @replies to yourselves more than ever.
- What happens to movie Twitter accounts when they die? They don't go to celluloid heaven, that's for sure.
- Solange Knowles feels music writers should know "deep Brandy album cuts" before criticizing R&B artists.
- This Japanese student is practicing English with tweets.
- Councillors banned a reporter from livetweeting their meeting on school bus price rises because that obviously needs to stay secret.
- An angry car washer waiting for a bill payment hijacked a soccer player's Twitter chat to demand the cash.
- Venezuelan officers raided the home of a user suspected of spreading rumors about Hugo Chávez's health
- Here's an interesting interactive map which shows which English soccer teams were most popular in each U.K. postal area.
Photo of the week: Miley Cyrus got up close and personal with One Direction's Harry Styles. Or at least a cardboard cutout of him. (@mileycyrus)
The Obama administration just took Cuba off the terrorism list
Congress could have objected, but it didn't.4.1k
When this baby elephant collapsed, the rest of the herd knew what to do
Elephants never leave a friend behind.24k
Loving dog owner takes his dying best friend on a bucket list road trip
You've been a good boy, Poh. A good, good boy.13k
Is all the crazy weather lately due to climate change?
Scientists are united. So why aren't we actively making the connection?
Teens reacting to classic '90s sitcoms will make you feel ancient
You're old. Your TV shows are old. Go to bed!1.9k