The Tweekender: David Bowie will never be number 2
With hundreds of millions of tweets per day, it’s impossible to follow everything happening on Twitter. Every Friday, the Daily Dot rounds up notable Twitter news and stories from the past week—in 140 characters or fewer.
- Twitter's made some internal changes that might streamline its management structure.
- The company's cofounder, Jack Dorsey, wants to become the mayor of New York City. Only he's been talking about the job for some time.
- Meanwhile NYC mayoral candidate Joe Lhota wants to meet the man behind the excellent @DrunkHulk.
- Twitter's being sued for $50m over its delay in handing over the identity of anti-Semitic tweeters.
- A nice guy soccer player gave a fan game tickets after tweeting back and forth with him.
- David Bowie hit the top of the U.K. album charts. His son, Duncan Jones, had some sly praise:
- Jon Hendren, a.k.a. @fart, discussed the inner workings of "weird Twitter."
- An MP criticized another over a dating ad on a Twitlonger post. Maybe he doesn't realize such ads are based on your own browser history.
- Twitter is growing fast in Saudi Arabia and Turkey, apparently.
- Is Lindsay Lohan using Twitter as a "probation diary"?
- Anna Kendrick has some choice words for recipe writers:
The trials and tribulations of ‘kidnapped’ startup founder Mayer Mizrachi
The nightmare, it seemed, was finally coming to an end. Today, Mizrachi's future is anything but certain.
Don't spy on your kids and other social media lessons from VidCon
Building trust in the age of a million apps.
The KernelHow Romania brought broadband to a whole country—and who got left behind
For more than 30 years, a U.S. government program has helped provide connectivity to the poor. It recently expanded to provide broadband access—but critics want to shut it down.Presented by The Kernel
Artist draws a Rey-a-Day in amazing ‘Star Wars’ fanart series
There's no end in sight for this stunning fanart project.
What's new in The Division's Underground expansion
This is a make or break moment for The Division.
J.K. Rowling debuts the 4 houses at the American wizarding school Ilvermorny
J.K. Rowling's latest Pottermore post includes a ton of new information about wizarding America.
'Suicide Squad' is more popular than 'Harry Potter' and 'Star Trek' on social media
Who knew fans were more excited about 'Suicide Squad' than the classics?
Hands-on preview: Farpoint may be the virtual reality first person shooter that gets it right
A brand new controller may be the key to proper FPS games in VR.
Petition calls for 'Star Wars' to include LGBT character in memory of Orlando victim
The victim was a huge 'Star Wars' fan.
The secret life of K-pop fans over 30
K-pop thrives on youth, and older fans find it's hard to catch the hallyu wave.
Save 30 percent on SainSonic's futuristic bone conduction headphones
This gives new meaning to getting a song stuck in your head.
Daily deals: Logitech computer gear, Pebble smartwatches, and more on sale today
Steam isn't the only company offering crazy gaming deals this week.
This looks like a camera lens, but it's actually a self-stirring coffee mug
Let the coffee stir itself, so you can get back to snapping.