With hundreds of millions of tweets per day, it’s impossible to follow everything happening on Twitter. Every Friday, the Daily Dot rounds up notable Twitter news and stories from the past week—in 140 characters or less.
- Twitter brought photo filters to its mobile apps, so your tweets can look like they’re from the ‘70s.
- After Instagram stopped showing photo previews, Florida Junior Senator Marco Rubio complained, and Twitter cofounder Biz Stone made a crack.
- Twitter suspended an account advocating for Catalonia.
- The Pope doesn’t follow anyone in part because the Dalai Lama doesn’t follow anyone.
- A former Republican governor marked his switch to the Democratic party with a tweet and a Barack Obama fist bump.
- Tennis star Andy Murray talked soccer when he took over FIFA’s account for a Q&A.
- A Mr. Bean homage account complained about the number of RTs Justin Bieber gets, not-so-subtly asked for retweets, and got more than 73,000.
- The next Ryder Cup is two years away, and already golfers are talking trash.
- ESPN will slip college football replays inside expanded tweets.
- Speaking of ESPN, it’s ordered staff not to tweet about sport or use terms like “shooter” today in the wake of the Sandy Hook tragedy.
- Police arrested a 15-year-old over a racist tweet sent to Manchester United’s Rio Ferdinand.
- A British Lord is suing for the House of Commons speaker’s wife for £50,000 after wrongly connecting him to a child abuse scandal.
The week’s best new users: Aside from some dude called Pope Benedict, Twitter debutantes include comedian Sarah Alexander, Chuck star Sarah Lancaster, and John Krasinski of The Office fame, whose first tweet was “YOLO!!! #yolo.” Also, I am reliably informed that Modern Seinfeld is funny to those who know about Seinfeld.
Photo of the week: Google’s lava lamp menorah is the best menorah. (@google)
Sandra Bullock rocks a sweet pair of 'Minions' heels for a good cause
These stilettos aren't the only fashion items the 'Minions' have inspired.18k
Dudes build huge real-life gundam so the U.S. can fight Japan in a giant robot battle
Japan, you have one year to name the battlefield.15k
Armory builds Iron Man a suit worthy of the Norse gods
Tony Stark would be the most stylish hero in Asgard with this leather armor.13k
The new Chevy Malibu is a teen driver's nightmare
The car will know who is behind the wheel.
The 3 biggest questions heading into the ESL ESEA final
The first edition of the ESL ESEA Pro League is coming to a head this weekend with $250,000 on the line.10