Craigslister posts Missed Connections ad for Wendy Davis
Wendy Davis's 11-hour filibuster for abortion rights in Texas ignited a fire in the hearts of all social justice–loving, blue-voting, pro-choice progressives. She and her Twitter-organized army of Capitol Building protesters in Austin spoke up, way up, often at top volume, until a vote on the clinic-shuttering measure SB5 was postponed. It was the first crowdsourced filibuster, and it earned Davis a place among the next generation of Democrat heroes. Even her shoes won die-hard fans. People think she's Connie Britton.
Thing is, Wendy Davis's day wasn't a missed connection at all, even if, continuing the metaphor, you missed the YouTube stream and tuned in the next day. But blame the TV news media for that. Not a single network picked it up. Countless Americans logged online to find it. We were all connected. Wendy Davis connected us.
Everything else in the news today:
- Sean Parker wrote a really, really long defense of his wedding. It's nearly 10,000 words. (Not cool. You know what's cool? Ten million words. Or nothing.)
- Man fails at disposing body the Walter White way.
- The Digg Reader app is out and it's great.
- The Rob Ford look-alike at the center of a plot to film a fake crack video.
- Your guide to this weekend's Pride celebration.
- 20 songs you won't believe are 20 years old.
- Kat Von D and Deadmau5 break up.
- Almie Rose's drunken Mad Men makeup tutorial.
Photo via Wendy Davis/Twitter
Texans are adopting dogs in droves to rescue them from flooded animal shelters
Now this is Southern hospitality.75k
This photo of an Army widow at her husband's grave reminds us what Memorial Day is all about
Laureen Lopez-Berry's husband Richard was killed by a car bomb in Afghanistan in 2012.39k
How to play every classic video game on your phone
The best '80s and '90s consoles in the palm of your hand.21k
This 'Bob's Burgers' writer will hate-watch 'Entourage' for charity
She's trying to raise a total of $10,000 for CureSearch.
Tiny bear cubs have the world's cutest wrestling match
Can. Not. Handle. This.8