Craigslister posts Missed Connections ad for Wendy Davis
Wendy Davis's 11-hour filibuster for abortion rights in Texas ignited a fire in the hearts of all social justice–loving, blue-voting, pro-choice progressives. She and her Twitter-organized army of Capitol Building protesters in Austin spoke up, way up, often at top volume, until a vote on the clinic-shuttering measure SB5 was postponed. It was the first crowdsourced filibuster, and it earned Davis a place among the next generation of Democrat heroes. Even her shoes won die-hard fans. People think she's Connie Britton.
Thing is, Wendy Davis's day wasn't a missed connection at all, even if, continuing the metaphor, you missed the YouTube stream and tuned in the next day. But blame the TV news media for that. Not a single network picked it up. Countless Americans logged online to find it. We were all connected. Wendy Davis connected us.
Everything else in the news today:
- Sean Parker wrote a really, really long defense of his wedding. It's nearly 10,000 words. (Not cool. You know what's cool? Ten million words. Or nothing.)
- Man fails at disposing body the Walter White way.
- The Digg Reader app is out and it's great.
- The Rob Ford look-alike at the center of a plot to film a fake crack video.
- Your guide to this weekend's Pride celebration.
- 20 songs you won't believe are 20 years old.
- Kat Von D and Deadmau5 break up.
- Almie Rose's drunken Mad Men makeup tutorial.
Photo via Wendy Davis/Twitter
Homeless man plays best cover of Styx's 'Come Sail Away' you've ever heard
Are we sure this isn't really Dennis DeYoung?36k
Husky scarfs down pot-laced Rice Krispie treats, trips balls
It's both a funny and pitiful sight.9.9k
Kids reacting to the gay marriage decision is everything
We could all learn something from this video.5.9k
German magazine files criminal complaint after revealing NSA targeted reporters
Der Spiegel's government source was allegedly outed by a U.S. embassy official.
The 3 biggest questions heading into the ESL ESEA final
The first edition of the ESL ESEA Pro League is coming to a head this weekend with $250,000 on the line.29