Daily Dot Jobs
The Daily Dot is looking for a confident and experienced writer who is able to report from both the front lines and the dark corners of the Web. That means having the ability to generate quick, sharp news stories with evocative ledes and the desire to delve deeper for more investigative, participatory features. Familiarity with YouTube, Reddit, and other online communities is a plus.
While based in Austin, Texas, the Daily Dot maintains a virtual newsroom.
- Pitching, pursuing, and publishing multiple stories a day.
- Developing a beat strategy and engaging with core communities through social media.
- Develop a conversational, but fun Daily Dot voice for news stories.
- Working with an assigning editor and other members of the editorial team to identify ways to build a larger and more engaged online audience.
Desired Skills & Experience
- 2+ years of journalism experience
- Proven ability to work to deadlines
- Experience working as part of a virtual team a plus
- Must be able to multitask and prioritize effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Comfortable in a small, intense and high-growth start-up/entrepreneurial environment
Design Assistant / Junior Designer /
Junior UX Designer / Junior Developer
Interested in working in a fun, casual environment on a high visibility project that needs a designer's touch? Do you spend a lot of time on the Internet, and cringe at poorly kerned type, bad layouts, and gaudy color selection? Then you may be just who we're looking for! We're growing fast and need another designer to help design comps, code web pages, and come up with creative ways to improve the site and increase its presence on the web.
- Proficient in Adobe CS, specifically Photoshop and Illustrator
- Previous work that demonstrates familiarity with grids, typography, color choice and the fundamental design principals.
- Good communication skills
- Front-end programming knowledge (HTML, CSS)
- Must reside in or be able to commute daily to the Austin area
- Must provide your own computer
- Knowledge of working within version control (Git specifically)
- Knowledge of Django / Python
- Experience in mobile and/or responsive web design
Depending on your skills, experience, and availability, this can be anything from a paid part-time internship, to a full-time position. Please forward a PDF portfolio (less than 5 megabytes, please) or portfolio website link to email@example.com.
Daily Dot Social Media Manager
The Daily Dot is seeking someone who’s whip-smart, ambitious, curious and self-motivated to oversee readership growth driven by social media and content outreach.
The ideal candidate has an insatiable appetite for Internet community news and culture, has been to the depths of Reddit and back and is fluent in the 140 character quip. If this person were Frankenstein'd, they’d have the eyes of an editor, the heart of a marketer, and the brain of a barking mad data scientist.
The Social Media Manager will report to the Director of Marketing, Audience Development, and work very closely with the editorial team and the Community Manager.
- Lead the charge and develop, implement, and measure strategies and campaigns driving readership and engagement across our social channels and email newsletters.
- Develop an authentic voice and strategy for extending and defining the brand through social channels and the email newsletter.
- Define monthly and quarterly social media KPIs and map success back to these established indicators.
- Develop earned content distribution relationships with publisher and blog networks
- Work closely with newsroom editors to package stories for social channels and distribute them to relevant contacts
- Lead day-to-day operations of all social media efforts in concert with editorial team and the community manager
- Develop and implement creative campaigns to engage readers and grow audience across platforms
- Design and manage the daily and weekly newsletters and grow readership
- Write and schedule social posts, in tandem with editorial team
- Work with Community Manager to ensure all viable social channels have fresh, engaging content, tailored to its unique audience
- Oversee social media listening with Community Manager and take appropriate actions
- Identify stories with high potential for outside interest and share appropriately
- Curate top stories of the day for daily newsletter
- Identify stories for paid promotion and execute as needed
Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor's degree
- 2-5 years of digital news experience
- Able to work newsroom hours when needed
- Strong editing and headline writing skills
- Experience working with a Content Management System (CMS) or web-publishing software
- Basic HTML knowledge
- Expert-level knowledge of emerging trends in the social media space
- Active participant in online communities already
- A passionate understanding of what it means to be part of an online community
- Able to articulate a clear vision for how Daily Dot will grow readership through the use of social media channels and the newsletter.
- Ability to analyze data, use insights to identify patterns and drive strategies and tactics based on learnings.
- Brief cover letter (one page or less)
- Online communities and public profiles you’re willing to share
- While based in Austin, Texas, the Daily Dot maintains a virtual news company.
Send application to: firstname.lastname@example.org