20140201_820006.xml-phone.1.jpg (999×746)
The phrase "blowin' up" just got a whole new meaning.

To the list of reasons why you shouldn’t buy your 14-year-old a brand new smartphone, you may now add “spontaneous fires.” A middle school student in Kennebunk, Maine, went the the hospital with second-degree burns on Friday after her iPhone 5C ignited in her pocket just before first-period French class, causing general panic in addition to injury.

The two-month-old Apple phone emitted a loud popping noise, then began to smolder and melt, with smoke billowing up around the student. Girls in the class helped her as she frantically tried to remove her pants, while others herded boys away from the scene and secured help from a teacher standing in the hallway. Jeff Rodman, principal of the Middle School of the Kennebunks, said the victim thankfully knew to stop, drop, and roll, which lessened the extent of the burns to her thigh and back. She was later treated at Southern Maine Health Care in Biddeford.

The girl’s mother, Judy Milligan, snapped a photo of the charred iPhone, which had originally been green. The Morning Sentinel quoted Andrew Rosenstein, owner of an Apple device repair service, on the fire’s lone possible source, a lithium-ion rechargeable battery: “The battery, as it charges and discharges, it’s really a chemical reaction that can generate heat. It’s very rare there can be an issue, but any battery is just a chemical composition that can be flammable in extreme circumstances.”

He said that such incidents were rare, especially for new phones. (An iPhone 4 fire on a flight to Sydney, Australia, was later blamed on “shoddy screen replacement.”) 

Apple itself has yet to comment or apologize, but if they’ve learned anything from Samsung’s mistakes, they’ll know it’s not in their best interest to suppress the story. In the meantime, I think I’m going to start keeping my phone in a safer place. Like the freezer.  

H/T Morning Sentinel | Photo via Judy Milligan

Promoted Stories Powered by Sharethrough
iphone
This device turns your iPhone into a Gameboy—and no, it's not a joke
Yesterday Reddit went absolutely crazy for a new concept that would turn your iPhone into a Gameboy, and it turns out, it's real. We can now confirm that the tentatively titled SmartBoy will be something you can eventually buy.
samsung
Samsung's response to a customer whose phone caught fire only made things worse
Damage control is a tricky thing: One wrong move can make a small crisis exponentially worse. Such is the case for Samsung, which moved to suppress YouTube evidence that its Galaxy S4 smartphone can catch fire for no reason at all, only to have the original poster call the company out for it in a second video that received five times as many views as the first.
The Latest From Daily Dot Video
Group

Pure, uncut internet. Straight to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing to our newsletter!